Bye bye Lib Dem

I still wonder if the LDs could have got a PR referendum back in 2010. That was their once in a generation chance. The alternative to PR that did go to a referendum was not very good, or popular, frankly.

The Lib Dems put out a leaflet a while ago ( with a pic of Nick Clegg) stating that although they wanted to be in the EU, that we should have a referendum on it. Now they are set against it, why? Because they think they will lose?

I still wonder if the LDs could have got a PR referendum back in 2010. That was their once in a generation chance. The alternative to PR that did go to a referendum was not very good, or popular, frankly.

AV was a shoddy deal done with the Tories by the Liberal democrats, as the Tories would never go for PR as they would be disadvantaged by it (there are some in depth academic studies on the issue). The Liberal Democrats missed on two crucial long term goals - Vote reform and House of Lord's Reform. See had Cameron and Clegg meant what they said about a new politics, we would have gotten a PR referendum, House of Lord's reforms and the right to recall MP's, and a possible vote on the EU. Cameron failed to get his boundary changes through precisely because he failed to deliver House of Lord's reforms.

The Lib Dems put out a leaflet a while ago ( with a pic of Nick Clegg) stating that although they wanted to be in the EU, that we should have a referendum on it. Now they are set against it, why? Because they think they will lose?

Flip Flopping Politicians for you.

Here it is
lib-dem-eu-petition-leaflet.jpg

Good point. As a life long Lib Dem voter, voting reform was always a big issue, as was House of Lords reform and education. They caved in on all three for a ministerial car and a red box. If they don't have principles, they have nothing. In 2015 I will not be voting.

:laugh: That poor lib dem candidate only got 836 more votes than the Loony Party candidate.

Who wanted to introduce piranhas into the river

Both the Tories and Labour sent their big gun politicians to help with the campaign and win over votes, Cameron went four times. The LibDems sent no one, not a single LibDem MP went to Newark to help with the campaign.

Simple really, if you don't invest you get no return. Complete lack of efficiency.

I believe the Tories were asking Liberal Democrat voters to vote for them to keep UKIP out, if that worked or not who knows.

Clegg is a dead duck, or a dead parrot if you want a tribute to the newly reformed pythons. He looked a sorry excuse for a leader on the LBC phone in the other day.

Remember how I always say voting UKIP can influence the bigger parties to take on policies just like as happened with the Greens? People voted for the Green Party and so the mainstream parties absorbed Green policies into their manifesto.

BBC News - Liberal Democrats discuss shift in EU referendum policy

A Lib Dem minister has confirmed that senior party figures are discussing whether they should back an early referendum on Britain's EU membership.

Nick Clegg is being urged to abandon his opposition to a referendum in the next Parliament, the source said.

The Liberal policy was to only offer a referendum if there was a further "Lisbon Treaty". There won't be anyway. The EU would drip feed more control slice by slice.

Current party policy is to back a vote only if more powers are transferred from Westminster to Brussels.

The BBC's political correspondent Vicky Young said she had been told by a Lib Dem minister that he, and at least one other minister close to Nick Clegg, had been urging their party leader to abandon his opposition to a referendum in the next Parliament.

The minister, she said, believed that the recent European election campaign had made the party sound like it was defending the status quo in Brussels when it should be the main voice calling for reform.

The party couldn't continue to block a referendum just because it was worried about the result, he added.

Liberals might promise a referendum? Possible future conservative/Liberal coalition?

Just one more to go if this comes to fruition.

The way the LibDems have behaved over the last few years will be reflected in the votes they receive in the general election next year.

It is possible the backroom boys and girls at the LibDem Party headquarters are at this minute backtracking and rewriting many of their policies to try and make good the damage.

I wish them luck.

Time is running out for Ed.

Hopefully he can hold on till the election though.

Don't know what is more worrying.

Miliband's ratings falling or the fact that Labour have popular policies:eek:

People will vote for the policies not Ed Miliband. Lets face it, David Cameron is a poor man's Blair, Clegg is whatever clegg is. And Boris is Boris.

People vote for personalities, without that there is no trust to follow through those policies.

People also vote for a party they are faithful to. The party faithful can be relied on by the politicians once the stirring speeches are unleashed.

People vote for personalities, without that there is no trust to follow through those policies.

True upto a point. I think most people are a bit wary of Politicians at the moment given Blair's powerful personality (a factor in the massive majority Labour won in 1997). Bland Miliband might well be an asset in May. Or it might not be.

People also vote for a party they are faithful to. The party faithful can be relied on by the politicians once the stirring speeches are unleashed.

Getting the core vote out is key. What both Labour and the Tories are failing to do is to attract the apathetic masses into voting for them and their parties.

It's not so much Milibland as Miliblag ... he does not appear trustworthy or sincere whenever he talks, with his stock phrases, repetition and obvious media training clichés performed badly

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom