Bye bye Lib Dem

pragmatic

Distinguished Member
Well almost you've got 1 seat, greens have got 3 though ...

Now lets see what irregularities get brought up with the votes in London for the other parties.

EarthRod

Distinguished Member
So long, farewell, auf Wiedersehen, goodbye,
Adieu, adieu, to yieu and yieu and yieu...

How much long for Nick Clegg? How much longer for the coalition??

nheather

Distinguished Member
Be interesting to know how the Ex-LD voters are voting now. Is it 50:50 Lab and Con, or more to one or something else altogether.

Cheers,

Nigel

Greg Hook

Moderator & Reviewer
Very interesting results. The tories are in coalition now with a party that is slowly ceasing to exist.

Some of the most interesting results are that people have moved away from the racist parties such as the BNP to UKIP.

Sonic67

Banned
How different things could have been if one of the mainstream parties was anti-EU something that is probably needed on the continent more than ever now.

Stand by for a year of parties saying, "we hear you" and doing nothing. I have a feeling millions will be spent by the EU as we are too stupid to get it and we need re-education.

The BBC have been quoting exit polls that says people will vote the same in a General election. That will worry a few marginal MPs.

Pecker

Distinguished Member
I don't think this will impact on the LDs at the election. They've been bobbing around 10%, give or take, for a few years, and I expect that's shat they'll get in 2015, unless something changes.

They'll be hit proportionally less badly than that figure suggests as their vote tends to be concentrated in particular areas.

I doubt very much that any if that remaining 10% core vote is going to UKIP. the big question is what UKIP are taking from the others, and if that vote will hold up in 2015.

Rasczak

Distinguished Member
Well, regrettably, I think the Lib Dems will always have an MP in Eastleigh - so there will always be at least one Lib Dem MP. That might be it though ;)

pragmatic

Distinguished Member
I don't think this will impact on the LDs at the election. They've been bobbing around 10%, give or take, for a few years, and I expect that's shat they'll get in 2015, unless something changes.

They'll be hit proportionally less badly than that figure suggests as their vote tends to be concentrated in particular areas.

I doubt very much that any if that remaining 10% core vote is going to UKIP. the big question is what UKIP are taking from the others, and if that vote will hold up in 2015.
Their vote halved, that is significant.
They did hold the mantra we're we are strong we are strong, which for the GE is as you say all that counts, a greater number of voter spread thing does nothing in our FPTP system.

Even so with is version of proportional representation the greens got 3 seats for 8% and the lib dems got 1 seat for 7%, still not a perfect system.

nheather

Distinguished Member
How different things could have been if one of the mainstream parties was anti-EU something that is probably needed on the continent more than ever now.
Absolutely. I have been a tory voter for over 30 years. For the first time ever, last Thursday I voted for a different party.

What I want is a EU Referendum. What I really want is stronger EU controls but the EU have said 'no way'. The alternative for me is to pull out of the EU. But in the interest of fairness I'd be happy with a Referendum - if the country says 'stay with the EU' then I'd be content with that because it would be the will of the people rather than self-interested politicians.

So the cost of my loyalty? If Labour could cast-iron guarantee a referendum early in the term then I would vote for them. The problem is that Tony Blair already promised that twice to get elected and then reneged.

Cameron has offered it, but at the back end of the next term if he gets in. As far as I'm concerned he doesn't really want one - if he did he could have called one this term. I don't trust him and believe he would renege just like Blair did.

Cheers,

Nigel

Pecker

Distinguished Member
FactCheck: Did Blair promise Euro referendum? - Channel 4 News

Blair did not unambiguously say 'We will have an in/out referendum on EU membership', which is what we're talking about.

What you need is a political party which says "If we are elected we will ask the British public in a legally binding referendum whether or not they wish to remain part of the European Union".

Any 'promise' less than that it's probably unfair to hold them to.

Politicians react to events and situations change. But a clear manifesto commitment is something else.

The trouble is the press. If the Tories hold a referendum you'll get the usual suspects in favour if a pull out, but a pretty clean fight, and (I suspect) a vote to stay put. If it's anyone else there'll be a massive 'No' campaign and the party in charge blamed for the result.

Sorry, gone off topic a little.

Steve W

nheather

Distinguished Member
FactCheck: Did Blair promise Euro referendum? - Channel 4 News

Blair did not unambiguously say 'We will have an in/out referendum on EU membership', which is what we're talking about.

What you need is a political party which says "If we are elected we will ask the British public in a legally binding referendum whether or not they wish to remain part of the European Union".

Any 'promise' less than that it's probably unfair to hold them to.

Politicians react to events and situations change. But a clear manifesto commitment is something else.

The trouble is the press. If the Tories hold a referendum you'll get the usual suspects in favour if a pull out, but a pretty clean fight, and (I suspect) a vote to stay put. If it's anyone else there'll be a massive 'No' campaign and the party in charge blamed for the result.

Sorry, gone off topic a little.

Steve W
I'm sure if the lawyers worked on it they would conclude that he didn't 100% promise and therefore he hadn't reneged. But he made two comments

On 20 April 2004 as Prime Minister addressed Parliament and said

it should debate the European constitutional question in detail and decide upon it and then let the people have the final say
And then in his 2005 manifesto, talking about the EU Constitution he wrote

We will put it [the constitution] to the British people in a referendum and campaign wholeheartedly for a Yes vote
Whilst I don't doubt his highly paid legal team could pull those apart, they are very much weasel words that the electorate would read as a promise.

Cheers,

Nigel

Ed Selley

AVF Reviewer
Well, ICM predicted that Labour would beat UKIP so he's probably only buying normal toilet paper at the moment.

tapzilla2k

Distinguished Member
The by election in Newark is going to be interesting to a degree, Farage expects if UKIP win that seat it will send Cameron into a spin (he can hold hands with Clegg). Looking at the General Election outside of my political box (we all have them) it's going to be fascinating to see how it all pans out and the ramifications it will have on Parliament. It might be a bit like 1974.....

Sonic67

Banned
Some of the Liberal councils lost on election night:

Portsmouth & Kingston -

Hancock - Guy Fawkes' blog

And some people get excited when a party member posts something on twitter etc.

namuk

Distinguished Member
All 3 are still talking waffle even after the spanking, they really can not get it can they, they need to start taking the red pill over the blue that they have been taking for a while.

nheather

Distinguished Member
All 3 are still talking waffle even after the spanking, they really can not get it can they, they need to start taking the red pill over the blue that they have been taking for a while.
Unfortunately, Labour don't have to do anything. A lot of people will vote UKIP, it isn't just a protest vote as the other parties try to claim. But it won't be enough to do anything but dilute the Tory vote. I couldn't see the Tories getting in anyway as they have not had a popular term, but with the dilution it will be handed to Labour on a plate regardless of how rubbish their leader is.

Ed doesn't even need to campaign, just sit back and wait for the keys to number 10 to be given him.

Cheers,

Nigel

Sonic67

Banned
Cameron has offered it, but at the back end of the next term if he gets in. As far as I'm concerned he doesn't really want one - if he did he could have called one this term. I don't trust him and believe he would renege just like Blair did.

Cheers,

Nigel
Has he given a cast iron guarantee?

Cameron Flashback : “I Will Give This Cast-Iron Guarantee” - Guy Fawkes' blog

The Liberals also used to seem like the nice party as they could promise anything and didn't have to deliver. They promised EU referendums and backed tuition fees and now they are seen to be no different to anyone else.

The Liberal Democrats will never be forgiven for backing tuition fees - Telegraph

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/may/26/nick-clegg-and-lib-dems-face-battle-for-survival

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 585609

"Four words, Liberal Democrats, Nick Clegg" ..... Good BYEEEEEEEE from 2:10 onwards...

Good BYEEEEEEE!

nheather

Distinguished Member
Has he given a cast iron guarantee?

Cameron Flashback : “I Will Give This Cast-Iron Guarantee” - Guy Fawkes' blog

The Liberals also used to seem like the nice party as they could promise anything and didn't have to deliver. They promised EU referendums and backed tuition fees and now they are seen to be no different to anyone else.

The Liberal Democrats will never be forgiven for backing tuition fees - Telegraph

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/may/26/nick-clegg-and-lib-dems-face-battle-for-survival
I think the LibRems had become used to promise whatever their voters would like to hear safe in the knowledge that they would never have to deliver them - LibDems in power was just not possible.

And then shock horror they find themselves in a coalition government - oh dear, what now.

"Student fees, no you misunderstand, we never meant that, we never thought it would come to this"

So practically the first thing they do when they get into power is to U-Turn on one of there biggest manifesto promises, instantly pissing off all the teachers and students in the country, people who might likely have voted LibDem.

They sold out in return for power.

Cheers,

Nigel

logiciel

Cameron has offered it, but at the back end of the next term if he gets in. As far as I'm concerned he doesn't really want one - if he did he could have called one this term.
He couldn't - the LDs wouldn't let him.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: The Best TVs and Projectors of 2020, plus AV, TV Show & Movie News & Reviews

Latest News

What's new on Sky and NOW TV UK for December 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Netflix UK for December 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Warner Bros 2021 movies coming to HBO Max and cinemas simultaneously
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Disney+ UK for December 2020
  • By Andy Bassett