Bye bye floorstanders

PatDanz

Novice Member
So,I've recently moved into a victorian terrace and my arcam alpha one amp that was driving a big set of mission m74 floor standers is simply too big

I need to beef up the TV audio (source is a tivo box from Virgin) which I use 60% of the time, with the remaining 40%being streamed Spotify via Google chromecast (will also consider a separate dac or streaming amp/ receiver in due course)

Dilema is this: have demo'd some bandw cm1 and also 685s and loved them: but the 685s are simply too physically big for the shelves they'll be put on. The cm1s are better but leave only circa 8cm clearance from rear facing ports to wall behind them...could experiment with foam plugs??

Planned to team these monitors with a sub, something like an rel5... And run as 2.1

Alternatively I could get a band w m1 surround setup: better for movies but concerned it'll lack midrange and outright power I want for music... Thoughts?

What's worse: potential Boom from poor cm1 location or lack of mid power by surround m1 setup...

gibbsy

What about a pair of KEF R100s. Very easy to place, even close to a wall. Rear ported they come supplied with a two piece bung to allow fully and half open and fully closed. The bungs can also be slide further in to help improve bass response. They can easily be croosed at 80hz and their musicality sits very well with a REL T5. A compact speaker that punches well above it's weight.

Two way bass reflex
Drive units Uni Q array HF 25mm vented aluminium dome MF 130mm aluminium
Frequency range (-6dB) 49Hz - 45kHz
Frequency response (+/-3dB) 56Hz - 28kHz
Crossover frequency 2.5kHz
Amplifier requirements 25 -100W
Sensitivity (2.83V/1m) 86dB
Maximum output 107dB
Nominal impedence 8 ohm
Weight 6.6kg
Dimensions H280 W180 D289mm

ashenfie

I would look at front ported or sealed speaker, for example Focal aria 905/6 work well near a rear wall.

Arcam_boy

Distinguished Member
Depending on your actual budget have you considered some Neat Iotas or Kef LS50's as small compact speakers - both sound lovely. The neats are a little bass shy but they really are small compact speakers and have stunning midrange and highs. The LS50's are stunning all round speakers and I doubt you'd be wanting for more with those, although they do shine with a good amp!

A subwoofer can be an excellent addition to a hi-fi system but it really is a fine art to try and get one to integrate properly with the front two speakers. I've been in to my hi-fi for years and know a thing or two but its still an absolute nightmare to blend/integrate a subwoofer with the front speakers so it 'disappears' yet adds some bottom end ooomph!

The best I've manage to do was with a home cinema amp with XT32 room EQ which seemed to do a very good job of integrating the sub but with a normal 2 channel amp with no/limited EQ it really is a fine art!

Another alternative has just sprung to mind.....2 Sonos Play 5's?

ashenfie

Kef LS50's
Depending on your actual budget have you considered some Neat Iotas or Kef LS50's as small compact speakers - both sound lovely. The neats are a little bass shy but they really are small compact speakers and have stunning midrange and highs. The LS50's are stunning all round speakers and I doubt you'd be wanting for more with those, although they do shine with a good amp!

A subwoofer can be an excellent addition to a hi-fi system but it really is a fine art to try and get one to integrate properly with the front two speakers. I've been in to my hi-fi for years and know a thing or two but its still an absolute nightmare to blend/integrate a subwoofer with the front speakers so it 'disappears' yet adds some bottom end ooomph!

The best I've manage to do was with a home cinema amp with XT32 room EQ which seemed to do a very good job of integrating the sub but with a normal 2 channel amp with no/limited EQ it really is a fine art!

Another alternative has just sprung to mind.....2 Sonos Play 5's?
The OP suggested he want the speakers near a rear wall, I suggest the rear ported LS50 would around best 2 feet away from a rear wall.

Further I don't understand your comment about being an all round speaker the LS50 are very good speakers but BASS rolls off below 70Hz. So if you want BASS you need a good sub.

So while the LS50 have there followers, they need careful partnering to produce there stunning results and carefully placement away from the wall. IMHO the R300 are a better compromise very much like the LS50 but more BASS extension. Again thu rear ported and best away from the wall.

Arcam_boy

Distinguished Member
Well done I applaud you on your suggestion.

I too have made suggestions for the OP to try. I think it's always going to be about compromise in the OPs situation if the speakers are going to be shelf mounted.

Front ported would be better I agree but the LS50's are still worth a listen and having heard them myself several times in different scenarios stand fully by my statement that they are great all rounders and can't really be classed as bass shy, appreciate they're not going to go down to 30Hz but they still have a decent bit of low end, especially considering their compact size!

If the B&W 685's are to big then I can't imagine a set of R300's would fit either!!

Member 769353

Previously davidf
You could also look at the Ophidian Minimo - minimal air velocity from the port, and are only marginally taller than a CD case, as in the photo. And don't be fooled by that tiny mi/bass driver - there's a surprising amount of meat there!

31392042654_e11f28a749_b.jpg

Also, the Amphion Argon 0 is a very capable little speaker too.

PatDanz

Novice Member
Thanks for all the input chaps.
Looking into all suggestions at moment... Swapping the band w's for a similar rear ported design I feel will offer negligible gains so keen to research alternatives... Will try and simulate physical environment in some demo rooms with suggested speakers too...

Anyone tried the bandw m1 satellites for audio? Decent power (with a sub) or lacking mids and simply a glorified surround system only??? Massively disappointed at volume available from a 5.1 system driven by a receiver which I demo'd... Rethinking about how I listen to music these days...

Arcam_boy

Distinguished Member
As a big fan of B&W and owner of some M1's (as rears in a 5.1) I'd say you'd be pretty dissapointed with them in a 2 channel set up even with a sub.

As I said earlier have you considered either 2 sonos play 3's or play 5's which would sit on your shelf.

Not sure what 5.1 system you refer to but even a fairly budget one should be able to reach a fairly reasonable volume!! Even going back to the M1's they'll go loud enough for 99% of people before reaching their limits!

PatDanz

Novice Member
As a big fan of B&W and owner of some M1's (as rears in a 5.1) I'd say you'd be pretty dissapointed with them in a 2 channel set up even with a sub.

As I said earlier have you considered either 2 sonos play 3's or play 5's which would sit on your shelf.

Not sure what 5.1 system you refer to but even a fairly budget one should be able to reach a fairly reasonable volume!! Even going back to the M1's they'll go loud enough for 99% of people before reaching their limits!
5.1setup would be m1 satellites partnered with suitable non bandw (relor bk??) sub...

DrHarvey12

Regarding subwoofers I would probably think in the BK range the closest competitor to the Rel T5 would be the Bk Gemini 2 and it appears to be a little over half the price. If you wanted a little more bass then the BK XLS 200 would fit the bill.

I've only heard good things about the Rel T5 and I am sure you would be happy with it. Just look into the BK options as well and see if you feel they may also offer you want you want at a lower price than the T5 or possibly with the ability to play lower, likely at the expense of a larger box.

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic HZ2000 OLED TV Review: The best OLED for movie viewing in 2020
Top Bottom