Bye Bye 9986... Ive gone "Titanium"

MattDJ

Standard Member
Reaction score
Feeling a little unsure about my experience with the Philips 32"9986 Lcd, its pains me to tell the appriciation group, Ive gone to the Sharp 32" Titanium LC32GD1. The backlight control on it, sold me, blacks really do look black.

Well nearly. Another trip to hispek today confirmed I had something wrong with my set, with the picture, the humming and the 2 dead pixels.

On display was a great looking set from Sharp that caught my eye... and now, I dont quite have the faith in Philips ("faith" also stems from a CRT and a VCR Combi that i bought over 3 years ago), despite the gorgeous picture, when I first turned it on.

I'll let you know how I get on... Also, if the DVI and Component Inputs are seperate, unlike the Philips, I will have a Gefen 4 Way DVI Switcher I got from America for sale (I paid £200 for - doh!)...

Hope I have better luck with the Sharp (and I wish I had Jimsan's 32" Philips LOL)

Good Luck with it Matt. I agree about the worries about Philips build quality. It was areal lottery there for a while with people getting v1.3's and 'buzzers'. Most of the new ones seem better........I hope.

Let us know how you get on living with the Sharp. (any fan noise?)

Jimmy

MattDJ,

I am due to take mine back to hispek on saturday because of the picture, buzzing and lip sync problems, what I need to know is were they helpfull or did they try and wriggle out of it by saying nothing was wrong.

You won't be disapointed with the Sharp. You'll also be much better off connection wise as you'll be able to connect via the component and DVI inputs at the same time as they are seperate, rather than shared via the DVI on the Phillips.

When you first plug the Sharp in it will look terrible though, at least my 26" model did. But after some tweaking you should be pleased with the results.

Ok... when I said "ive nearly" gone titanium - i wasnt joking...

Hispek called and they left a message. IT WILL BE TWO MONTHS till they get a LC32GD1 in!!!

I dont believe it... what do i do...? Keep the faulty philips for TWO months... or take it back and get another Philips...

The sage continues... I hope to phone em tomorrow, with my answer, any other suggestions - and if i upgrade size to 37" Philips, any niggling probs with it???

To Shah, originally they didnt think there was a fault, with my original problem... Philips technician came round, and virtually admitted he thought there was a problem...
Eventually got 1/2 dead/stuck pixels, then the humming sound started... so now its officially "faulty"...

What I do now - i really dont have a clue. Suggestions? Do I get a refund? And get a new screen in a couple of months??? Any big new makes coming out with new stuff (Ive always been a Panasonic fan)...

Thanks in advance.

MattDJ said:
Ok... when I said "ive nearly" gone titanium - i wasnt joking...

Hispek called and they left a message. IT WILL BE TWO MONTHS till they get a LC32GD1 in!!!

I dont believe it... what do i do...? Keep the faulty philips for TWO months... or take it back and get another Philips...

The sage continues... I hope to phone em tomorrow, with my answer, any other suggestions - and if i upgrade size to 37" Philips, any niggling probs with it???

To Shah, originally they didnt think there was a fault, with my original problem... Philips technician came round, and virtually admitted he thought there was a problem...
Eventually got 1/2 dead/stuck pixels, then the humming sound started... so now its officially "faulty"...

What I do now - i really dont have a clue. Suggestions? Do I get a refund? And get a new screen in a couple of months??? Any big new makes coming out with new stuff (Ive always been a Panasonic fan)...

Thanks in advance.

I might be able to help you here mate, PM me for details with the price you have seen if for and I'll see if we can match it.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom