1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BW 601 as AV front speakers?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by keen_but_dumb, Oct 29, 2005.

1. keen_but_dumb

keen_but_dumb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    New to the forum but a regular reader.

I've pulled together a reasonable (budget) AV system with some Haybrook fronts (don't know the model number, they were a Richer Sounds bargain some years ago), BW 601 (S2) rears, a BW CC6 (s2) centre and a Gale 3070 sub. Having now moved in with with girlfriend, I am having to compromise on speaker placement but would like to take the opportunity to buy some new front speakers.

The brief is that they will need to sit on shelves (a fixed bookcase) and whilst I might be able to stretch to a 602-sized speaker, the girlf. would be much happier with 601's or smaller.

The room is about 16' square with speakers due to sit in all four corners (girlf. won't let me have plasma on the wall as "too blokish" :nono: but have it on a stand, slightly to one side of the centre position.

For info, I'm coupling the speakers with a Denon 2805 Receiver & 2910 DVD player.

Help me, what should I do?

2. Mentally

Mentally

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I highly recommend on going with B&W speakers due to the center from the same company. There is nothing wrong with 2 bookshelf speakers as yuor fronts but I do recommend on adding a subwoofer.

3. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +599
    if you want something to appease the g/f, take a look at Monitor Audio RS1's.....they bookshelf size, but look nice and have very good sound quality.....you can match them with the RS centre speaker.......then you can move your B&W centre to be a rear centre if there is room :)

(dunno wot your budget is tho, the RS1's are £350 and the centre is £250 i think, if this is too much, ask your local sevenoaks if they still got a pair of Silver S1's and Silver Centre ex-demo they can flog you, might get both for the nice side of £300 if lucky)

main reason for recommending them is that they work extremely well with the Denon equipment.....(i have the 3803 and 3910, but have tried the 2805 and 3805 plus 2910 in demos)......they have extremely good treble and mid control, and the bass is rather nice too........then in the future you can upgrade by getting a pair of wall mountable RSFX surround speakers...then a better sub......this way within a year or two you will have moved from budget to midrange setup :)

4. keen_but_dumb

keen_but_dumb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

5. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
    If the speakers don't have a rear bass port it won't effect the sound too much to wall mount them, although having a nice strong stand will improve the quality over just sticking them on a desk or shelf.

6. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +599
    aye, if you can mount then Monitor Audios on a stand its advisable, but not strictly necessary...

the RS1's are rear ported, so if you do put them on a shelf you need to put in the foam bung, that should be supplied with the speaker, MA are usually good on that side of things.....on the shelf you could use some squash balls cut in half to isolate the speaker slightly from the shelf.....

heres a link to the RS1's http://www.monitoraudio.co.uk/products/silver/rs_series/rs1.htm

and they are available in Black Oak

Rosenut

Walnut

Natural Oak

Cherry real wood veneers,

with black cloth grills, altho personally i find its best to have the grill off.

As for mixing and matching, to begin with its possible the sound at the front will be a little mismatched if you only buy the RS1's to begin with, but as you upgrade it will get a helluvalot better....lol

go give 'em a demo somewhere, if you dont like it, mebbe the g/f will see something else in the dealers shop she does like...lol

(so glad i was single while i built up my system...heh)

7. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +599
    btw, dont ignore the 'appease the girlfriend' side of things, altho aesthetics matter not so much to men as the sound does, to a woman who doesnt like blokish things then the aesthetics matter greatly......and MA are fairly modern and neutral in their design....

8. keen_but_dumb

keen_but_dumb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, certainly a lot to think about.

I think I'm going to go with the BW601s as the fronts since the front ports will work better with the shelf mounting I'm going to have to put them on - I'm actually having the shelves built from scratch so I'll insist on a very heavy-duty mounting and put some spike in to isolate them a bit more.

The Monitor Audios are lovely but a bit pricey for me at the moment - maybe an upgrade for the future when I've had a chance to pay off some of the other purchases in the new house!