1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Buzzing with Denon 2805 and Naim Kit

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by andy c!, Feb 6, 2005.

Tags:
  1. andy c!

andy c!
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    I am experiencing buzzing with my new Denon 2805. Basically there is a feature on the Naim pre-amplifier called 'unity gain'. Thiss is a 'pass thru' option that deisables the volume pot on the pre-amp so when you connect the front left-right channels pre outs on the denon i can use the main speakers as part of the av set up. The Denon 2805 replaces a venerable Yamaha 492 pro-logic processor that has been working well for the last seven years.

When I have the denon powered up, but with nothing else plugged in other than the phono lead to the Naim pre - I get an auduable buzz thru the Naim front left and right speakers. When the Yamaha is connected - no Buzz.

I have spoken to Naim about this and they say its down to either an earth loop at the av side of the kit, or an incompatibility problem with the Denon kit. I am therefore borrowing a Yamaha RXV1500 reciever tomorrow to see if this cures the issue, bearing in mind the old yamaha worked fine.

I will report back my findings...

andy c!

2. DrPoko

DrPoko
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Naim gear appears to be very susceptible to earth hum when connected to AV amps.

I have a Yamaha AV amp any use NAIT5s from the pre outs. (still saving for the Naim AV2).

Best way I found to remove the hum is.

Connect CD player to NAIM (I have a Naim CD5). I believe that the NAIT takes it’s signal earth from a source component.

Use an earth strap between the AV amp and the NAIM amp. (just loosen a case screw on both amps, wrap the ends of a piece of wire around each screw and tighten.)

Hope this helps.

3. andy c!

andy c!
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    HI,
    After extensive plugging and unplugging It appears the Philips LCD tv is the culprit. Basically if I connect a digital co-ax cable between the 2910 and the 2805 with the 'unity gain' phono's also plugged in, I get a buzz. If I use optical cables then no buzz!

If the dvd is not plugged into the philips - no buzz!

It's a very wierd problem, is this! Am going to try a ground loop isolator and see if this works on the phono connection above - ya never know!

andy c!

4. DrPoko

DrPoko
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Optical cable is also a good tip for folks with earth loop buzzing.

I have swithed to all optical digital connections, DVD, DVDRW, SKY+ & Xbox.

People tell you that a good electrical digital interconnect is better than an optical but there is no difference to my ears. (and it is only my ears that count to me!)

5. Eddy Boy

Eddy Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Opticial is a great connection but where it falls down is the connectors. that is where you get the most degregation. Even more so compared to co-axial. Also optical cables don't like being bent or being curvered to tightly. But like DRPoko says you may not hear the difference and at the end of the day it works...