1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Buzzing TVs???

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by bugfinder, Jan 30, 2002.

1. bugfinder

bugfinder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Here's on for you...

It's later on at night, all's quiet, and you're watching something with the sound turned down, then you notice a humming/buzzing noise that's emanating from the back of your set...

Is it just me or is this the state of play with all widescreen CRTs? I own a Sony 28 inch and never noticed this on my old 21inch, or my parents old 32inch Panasonic.

Are there any silent runners out there? I'm particularly interested to hear from owners of 32inch Philips or Leowe I'm considering replacing mine due to a fault...

Cheers!

2. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,518
    the buzzing noise is due to the high voltage inside your TV....even your Philips pronto buzz's if you put it next to your ear!

3. yeti88

yeti88

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought a Sony KVFX65B 28" Wide screen TV from Electric World Oct 2001 (display model 1 month old). Excellent TV, very good picture quality. It became noticeable that there was a noisy hum coming from the TV, it could be heard over some programs. The noise was not coming from the speakers but from the air slats on the side and rear of the TV. We had the TV replaced an ex display model came but their was a pink colour distortion in one corner of the screen. The TV was replaced again (brand new unboxed). This constant humming noise is still there, so much that it spoils some of the viewing. Is there a problem with this set ? is it because it's 100Hz ?. I have always bought quality Sony products but I am not entirely satisfied with this expensive TV.

4. Zacabeb

Zacabeb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    My Philips 32PW9616 also buzzes, as do its audio outputs. Unacceptably so. The buzz is clearly related to interference from the deflection, since it gets different frequencies depending on display mode and video system. The 32PW8707 I had, also a 100Hz set, did not buzz the least bit (which is not a recommendation; that set is a museum for all TV geometry problems of the last half century).

5. John Matrix

John Matrix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Buzzing can also be caused by noisy mains causing the transformers inside the equipment to vibrate in sympathy with spikes on the mains. More noticable with larger transformers - particularly toroidals (I notice mostly with my power amps and pre-amp power supplies) but also affects other items. Can be caused by a variety of things from fridges to hairdryers (which, in my house, are particularly bad pollutors...)

6. somebugger

somebugger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had a 4:3 Bush 28 incher that buzzed like a personal massager in Jordans dressing room, solved the problem by selling it to the father in law:D Although the buzz could be cured by pressing the scart lead in firmly, dry joint, dodgy connection ?

New Thomson w/s totally silent.

7. azzo

azzo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I too had a problem with a Loewe Planus TV buzzing. The guy in the repair shop didn't believe me at first.
    The problem turned out to be something loose in the set which was resonating when their was full gain on the TV. i.e. when a bright white picture was displayed the buzzing was loud, when a dark one displayed the buzzing was faint.
    I can't remember exactly what it was, but it was definitly a faulty set. I remember the component cost about a fiver though and it took them 2 months to fault find it!!!!!!

If your not happy then get them to sort it out.

8. sbrads2424

sbrads2424

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hitachi C28WF535N - absolutely no buzzes here.

9. dts borg

dts borg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    The Toshiba 36ZP18 is a Bee Hive. Bzzzzzzzzzz

10. bumper31

bumper31

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings: