Buzzing sub

john039

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I have a Sony sub and am getting a loud buzzing after switching it on.
Thought it might something causing interference so tried various positions/sockets around the room.
Still getting the buzzing so disconnected the coax from amp end and buzzing still there, disconnected from subwoofer end and buzzing stopped.
Problem whenever any coax is inserted into the subwoofer (even without the other end connected) loud buzzing occurs.
Any help/advice appreciated.
Thanks
John.

It could be a faulty lead,try another if you can.

I have this problem with my Mordaunt-Short sub! Annoying aint it! I spent a bomb on a better coax lead and it remains the same!

Very annoying yes.....have tried numerous leads/plugs but problem still occurs..cant really believe only have to push the plug into sub to set it merrily buzzing away, even if its nowhere near or even connected to the amp :(

I had a similar issue with my REL Q150.

It maybe an earth loop problem. Does it only buzz when connected to the amp? Is it ok plugged in on its own? if so this maybe the problem.

Try pluging it in the same socket as the amp (sounds like you may have already)

REL fixed theirs by adding a switch that did/did not earth the amp and it totally fixed my issue.

G

Its probably a ground loop problem try using an optical lead instead of co-ax, connect only the speaker wires to the reciever and see if that cures the problem

Thanks for all answers........
gchaplin, it buzzes if coax is connected to sub irrevelant whether other end of coax is connected or not connected to amp, maybe you are correct in saying it has an earth problem but I have no switch to try it out.

morg, unsure of what you are getting at with using optical instead of coax??

Hi, How long is the sub lead? What type is it? Is it specifically for a sub? Is there just one input or are you using a "Y" connector for a stereo pair? Have you tryed just inserting a good quality phono connector without any cable attached to it? (you can get one from Maplins for about £2, make sure the internal solder tag doesn't groung to the sleeve). If the phono on its own buzzes it probably indicates a fault with the low level input board/connector. (Can you see the centre metal tube on the female input phono? Sometimes that can get pushed in if the connecting centre pin on the male phono is too tight. When you plug in the phono it grounds internally on the board). If it doesn't then it's the cable thats dodgy. Do you have high level speaker inputs? Does it buzz with them?

Hi
I tried the "better lead option" & swapped to a £30 Ixos; NO DIFFERENCE. What fixed my 308 buzzing was to connect a lenght of "bell wire" between my 308 and the case of my Pioneer amp; just loosen a screw on the outside of each case, put bare end of wire underneath and re-tighten. The beauty of this is that you can try it out without lifting carpets etc. If it doesn't work for you then it's cost next-to-nothing. :)
Mark

Guys,

I had exactly the same problem. My Kef 30B sub used to hum when connected to my Denon AMP. Sub connected via Coax, when you disconnected the coax from the Sub, the hum would stop. The answer for me was to attached an earth cable from an amp screw on the sub to the earth point on the Amp. The result no Hum. :clap:

Hope this helps.

Ian.

Hi,
I don't know if you have solved your problem yet but it is almost certainly an earthing fix needed.
If there is no earth post on the back of your amp you will find one of the AM aeriel connecters has an earth sign on it. Take a wire from there to the empty earth connection in the amp plug and plug it back in the wall socket.
Regards,
Steve2267

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom