Buzzing sound piano music

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Speakers' started by Blackened, Aug 25, 2017.

1. Blackened

Blackened
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys,

Recently I bought a budget music system to improve sound quality. I bought a onkyo a9010 receiver in combination with mission LX2 speakers, as they both seemed to have good quality for the money. I use this setup to listen music on spotify with a google chrome cast audio.

In general I'm very pleased with the sound coming from this system. However, there is one thing that annoys me quite a bit.

When there is playing nothing but just a piano there is some kind of distortion making the sound of the piano very bad to listen too. I first noticed this from the sounds in the playstation4 menu. Then I decided to listen to some classical tracks on spotify. Only a piano playing sounds distorted even at normal levels. This does not happen when listening to guitar solo's or even violin solo's.

I listened the same songs at other peoples music system (not in the same room as mine) and the songs sound just perfectly fine. As this does not happen with other instruments and it happens in both speakers it seems to me that its not a speaker problem?

Has someone experienced this before, and is there a way to solve this? Hope someone can help me out :)

(one of the song that it happens very clearly is Beethoven No, 14 "Moonlight" in C-sharp played by Paul Lewis).

2. Deleted member 781788

Deleted member 781788

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It could be that the speakers were over-loaded at some stage in the past.

3. noiseboy72

noiseboy72

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,632
    What can happen if a speaker is over driven or dropped is that the voice coil moves slightly off centre. This rubs on the magnet at certain frequencies and power levels and gives the effect you describe. Does it affect just one of both speakers?

4. Blackened

Blackened
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your replies.

It affects both speakers. However, they are new speakers and I'm sure I havent over driven or dropped them. If they would be overdriven wouldn't you expect to hear it less clear on other music/instruments?

Soon I'll try out the speakers with a different amp to see if the same problem occurs. Do you think it could be a problem with the cables? I'm just hoping I don't need to replace the amp or speakers since I just got them.

5. noiseboy72

noiseboy72

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,632
  6. AEJim

AEJim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Definitely not cables. Check the terminals on the back are tightly screwed down as they can buzz if not. As it's on both speakers it could well just be a driver resonance, piano notes are quite testing as they're very pure and powerful at one frequency, if that coincides with a break-up frequency in the bass driver cone (or a lower fundamental resonance of the tweeter if a shallow crossover slope is used) it can be very obvious yet not audible with other, more general musical material.

7. Mark.Yudkin

Mark.Yudkin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,527
  8. rorackowe

rorackowe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +212
    Something in the room?

9. Deleted member 781788

Deleted member 781788

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    May well be, My chandelier used to clang at certain frequencies.

10. shango

shango

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +638
    Are you sure it's not in the recording itself?
    Pianos often make noises that get into the recording especially on a grand when the open the lid and put the mics very close, pedals, hammers etc can resonate and be recorded, this can apparently be worse for players with poor pedal techniques.
    Can often hear this even on professional studio recordings by professional piano players, often more audible when listening on headphones.
    Your particular speakers could highlight this more than others.