1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Buzzing Sound :confused:

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by mikepjbell, May 11, 2004.

1. mikepjbell

mikepjbell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ok, i'm a complete novice. i have a pathetic question lol. i can't work out why all my speakers and my sub are making a buzzing sound. has anyone got any advice that will solve my ploblem?

thx

2. Barzo

Barzo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +184
    Without a description of your kit, hard to know.

However, following might be useful:

(i) Check all connections to make sure they have been made properly and securely.
    (ii) Could be interference from other components. Try moving them around and see if this improves things.
    (iii) It is not unheard of for subwoofers to 'hum' when switched on. Don't know the techicalities, but others might. Speakers should not hum though.
    (iv) If that does not help, you might want to get some sort of mains filter. You can work out of the mains is the culprit by turning off 'dirty' applicances like fridges and PCs, and listening to see if 'buzzing' is still there. Might not help, as the mains supply itself might be poor - might be improved by a mains filter. Best to see if anyone else can shed light on performance of mains filters - am hoping to buy one myself, but no real experience of how they perform.

Last thing I can think of, and not meant in any bad way, but does the hum happen at all volumes? Or might you have the volume settings up too high?

3. mikepjbell

mikepjbell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hum happens in all volumes. i have a rubbish Goodmans GHC 50 system. 5.1

4. mikepjbell

mikepjbell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    every speeker is making the same humming sound. i have my DVD player above my sky digital box and my vcr. i have my centre speeker half a metre above that on a shelf. my subwoofer is next to my TV and the VCR,DVD and Sky box's.

5. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Hate to be the one to say it, but I think the Goodmans design is at fault. I've heard several cheap all-in-one setups from various manufacturers (and even one expensive Pioneer setup) and they all hum through their speakers. Sorry. :(

Sell it to a "mate" and upgrade to some nice seperates. :devil:

6. Barend

Barend

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    My Harman Kardon buzzes through every speaker unless it's properly setup in the receiver.
    Barend