1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Buzzing rear speakers on 28PW9616

Discussion in 'TVs' started by kjmacphee, Feb 21, 2002.

1. kjmacphee

kjmacphee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I've had a Philips 28PW9616 for around 18 months now. Everything has gone swimmingly and I have been most pleased with its performance bar one major point.

The wireless rear speakers. There is an audible hum/buzz/whistle that comes from them and changes according to where people are sitting in the room. Occassionally the sound will drop out completely.

It is pretty obvious that there is some interference in the channel used to transmit the sound to the speakers. I have tried fiddling about with the switches on the speakers and back of the set (defining the frequency to use) but to no avail.

Has any other owner experienced this and/or managed to remedy it?

My other more minor disappointment is also sound-related. Although I find the sound pretty satisfying for a one-box solution, I have found that when cranking out a DVD at typical movie, volume speech can get very difficult to hear and understand. Anyone else and any solution?

Thanks for any advice in advance. :)

2. kjmacphee

kjmacphee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No other 9616 owners? Only one with speaker issues? :(

3. i like things

i like things

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well this is a very long time to wait for a reply...

but i dont have (touch wood) a problem with the rears, although i think they do hum if they have been on a long time. i think all cheaper amps do after time. although mine are only 3 months old.

i have ntl broadband through the set top box. and if online the surround sound signal is interrupted by bb. so sound does sometimes just cut off at the back briefly...

4. kjmacphee

kjmacphee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for replying, although it was a hell of a wait :D. The problem seems to have diminished greatly ... though me doing nothing in particular!

5. the badger

the badger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I do not have a humming problem on my 32pw9616. However, I don't seem to be getting dolby digital sound. I have a sony dvpns300 player and I am only getting dolby surround albeit very good dolby surround. Both items have dolby digital logos but apparently the sony does not have an onboard decoder and the 9616 instruction leaflet seems to indicate that you have to be connected to a player which has an onboard decoder. Perhaps this is your problem and you need to get your player to downmix to dolby surround. It seems that dolby digital does not always mean what it says on the box

6. Samir

Samir

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Badger
    Try setting it up as follows:
    In the TV menu go to set up & have Ext 1 + Dig Audio,
    In the DVD menu set it to output Digital Bitstream
    And connect via Co-ax to TV Dig Audio input & via scart to Ext 1.
    Also have dvd set to RGB for picture.
    This set up will give DD sound it does not matter if your dvd player hasn't got an onbroad DD decoder as the 9616 does.
    Also may have to select DD sound manually by using the surround sound button.
    If you press the +i button it should display 3/2.1 (Dolby Digital)

Also to add to I have not had any problems with my rear speakers, But i only used them for about a month before I got my 3802.
    :D

Hope this is of help
    Samir
    A happy owner of a PW9616c (with the Philips HD Cybertube)
    :D

7. the badger

the badger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Samir- I think there must be something wrong with the cable I am using. Not sure what bitstream is. The options on the dvd player are either "Dolby digital" or PCM. I have tried both. When I ste the tv to ext1 +dig I get no sound. When I set it to just ext1 for digital sources I do get sound (which is presumably coming through the scart) but the surround menu does not give the options MPEG or dolby digital. The information button also does not indicate that it is receiving a digital sound. Either their is something wrong with the socket that receives the signal or the cable is the problem. It does not seem to fit vey well even though it is an expensive one.

8. Samir

Samir

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Badger
    The cable should be a 75 ohm Co-ax with RCA connection. And set the DVD to output DD, this set up will be sending the sound via co-ax and picture via scart. Also is the wireless module which sends the signal to the back speakers conected to the back of the TV correctly (check just to make shaw).
    Also do you have problems getting a pro-logic signal.
    If you still have the problem I would advise you to take it up with the dealer who you got iyour TV from, because this is the correct set up.

Samir:)

9. the badger

the badger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all your help on this Samir. I have persevered. The problem was that the Sony player has a facility to play a pseodosurround effect through the scart connection for people who don't have a dolby digital set-up. When this is activated no sound is sent through the digital cable. I did not set this up so it must be a default setting. Unfortunately, they don't tell you this in the installation instructions. I now have fantastic dolby digital sound.

10. i like things

i like things

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    its awesome when it kicks in isnt it!

still, one down point...

the gamecube is dolby pro-logic II (5.1) not dolby digital 5.1

i guess the tv is only dolby pro logic, not dolby plII

:(

11. SJCUK

SJCUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just seen your 'old' problem. My wireless back speakers make a popping sound in time with the 50hz power supply. An engineer told me that a fix had been sourced by snipping' a lead inside the lead speaker (the one with the power) of the two. Apparently it's an earthing problem. Only problem was he never did tell me which lead to snip!!