Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Buzzing plasmas!!!

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by leamspaceman, Jul 19, 2004.

1. leamspaceman

leamspaceman
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,038
    OK...I've got a Hitachi 42PD5200 coming to replace the 42PD5300 I originally ordered (see my "Hitachi should be sued"...thread).

I see on here that there are concerns with 'buzzing'. In looking through all the posts concerning this it only seems to be a small number of people who are having the problem. Threads are long but it is the same people leaving multiple posts. I've also noticed that it doesn't just seem to be Hitachi sets. I've seen posts here about Fujitsu and Panasonic sets buzzing too.

If a set buzzes it seems some people have cured the problem by putting something behind the set that will 'absorb' the buzzing sound. I can imagine a piece of polystyrene, painted the same colour as my wall, blu-tacked to my wall behind the set. Would this absorb the buzzing sound? It certainly wouldn't look obtrusive. Egg boxes may do the trick too.

I have a pace twin freeview box, and the hard disk in that makes quite a loud whineing noise when it's in operation. That doesn't bother me at all. Would the buzz from the plasma be any louder?

I am still in a position where I could cancel the PD5200 and order another plasma instead? I really don't want buzzing hassles.

What would all of you guys here advise me to do?

Where can I order 'proper' sound deadening material that would absorb the buzz. I saw a link somewhere here but can't find it now.

Cheers guys.

2. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    Not all Hitachis buzz, but they are without doubt the biggest culprits. Check out the 'grey cloud' scenario as well. It all happened to a bunch of guys who bought their screens off JL with a serious bit of price collaboration (more power to them!) A large proportion of them ended up dissatisfied, but their experience is not universal. You need to remember, to get it all in proportion, that Hitachi sell more screens than everyone else. For me, it's still too much though. I no longer sell Hitachi, too many returns. As long as you don't get a buzzing one, I'm sure you'll be pleased, I suppose it depends on whether you can take the hassle of being a bit more likely to have grief with your purchase or not.

3. leamspaceman

leamspaceman
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,038
    It seems that compard to the amount of sets Hitachi must sell, there are only a handful of problems. Or maybe other dissatisfied customers don't know about these forums? I'm getting a bit twitchy though. Is the buzz worse on PD5200 compared to PD5300? Are there any threads on here relating to serious buzzing on other sets (Panasonic, Pioneer, Sony etc)?

The Hitachi set has EVERYTHING I want. It is the perfect spec for me. I'm looking at others but they don't have the spec I want and they are way more expensive.

Bloody hell...what's a man to do eh :confused:

I know I have been overly picky with problems on AV kit in the past. We guys seem to scrutinise everything down to the last detail. I've sent stuff back due to minor niggles which have been magnified in my eyes as I want perfection. I've tended to see problems and then focus on them. Is this what is going on here? Lots of people say the buzzing is only noticeable because they are listening for it. Reading alot of the posts on this forum it reminds me of how I used to be (and still am sometimes) with AV kit. Getting very stressed and wound up about minor stuff.

Heres a tip anyway.

I always buy my stuff with a credit card to protect me. Any purchases over 100 pounds are automatically insured. I've bought stuff before and not been satisfied. I've then refused to pay the credit card company and taken it up with their claims department. Everytime I've been successful :clap: . There have even been occasions where I had paid the credit card off and I still ended up with the money back. This hasn't just been with AV kit. My gym went bust and credit card company refunded me. I lived in Slovakia for a year and had parcels with all my belongings sent there. Royal Mail messed up the delivery (was promised 48 hrs and it was two weeks!!!), I got the full 400 pounds refunded by credit card company. If you have a clear credit card (I always pay mine off each month) they seem to be willing to help (I have a Goldfish card). If you make your purchase just before your statement is due, you effectively have 7-8 weeks before you then pay for it (4 weeks before statement+3 weeks to pay statement off).

Anyway...hope to hear a few more comments.

4. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    I had the buzzing problem with a 42PD3000 (which, following a complaint letter to Hitachi, they have agreed to replace with a 5300).

It may be that some people, me included, notice the buzz more than other as, when my dealer sent someone out to have a listen to my panel, he agreed that it buzzed but that it was no worse than any other one he had heard yet, to me, the noise was really annoying as it could be heard above the sound of dialog.

Having said that, I've listened to a coupe of other 3000's and a 5300 and couldn't hear a noise from them at all.

John

5. peejay

peejay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've had two Hitachi 42PD5100s. Both of them buzzed. This could mean:
    - all Hitachis buzz, and some people are just lucky enough not to be susceptible to buzzing; or
    - I've been very unlucky.

I'm keeping this set and learning not to notice it.

If a programme is interesting enough, I usually don't notice it. If it's dull, I can notice it, even over dialogue.

peejay

6. Shepski

Shepski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had a 42" 5200 and it didnt buzz but its going back cos its too big for our needs but got the 37" 5200 coming tommorrow so hopefully that will be the same...no buzzing :)

7. Elvis

Elvis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm one of the poor unfortunates MAW referred to regarding the 'grey cloud' problem. I eventually got a full refund on 42PD300 from JL and bought a panasonic 42PA20 instead (it actually cost less than the hitachi by then).

Hopefully the 'grey cloud' problem will have been fixed in the latest Hitachi's. On the other hand Hitachi refused to recognise it as a problem (it was a 'feature') so maybe they haven't bothered. My Hitachi also buzzed, although it wasn't very loud. All in all the panny I have now is a better set. I would be wary of buting Hitachi again, largely because of their poor customer support. But I haven't experienced Panasonic's support yet, they may be equally poor, and there are lots of happy Hitachi owners on this forum so they can't be all bad.

BTW MAW, I quoted some of your (and others) comments regarding my Hitachi that were posted on this forum in my 'outraged letter' to JL in support of my claim, I'm sure it all helped, so thanks for chipping in. :thumbsup: