• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

buzzing on Hitachi 42pd6600

Zebade

Standard Member
hi there my Hitachi 42PD6600 all of a sudden has a non stop buzzing when its on and doesnt stop at all no matter how long the tv is on for any help would be great, i know its an old tv but it was a gift and id like to still use it thanks for any advice in advance

Cliff

Distinguished Member
It would be helpful if you could tell us where the buzzing is coming from- the back of the screen or the loudspeakers?

Does the buzzing reduce with the volume?

If it is coming from the back then check the fans, they may be dirty and fouling. Or it could be the power supply. Sometimes coils and transformers buzz.

Zebade

Standard Member
It would be helpful if you could tell us where the buzzing is coming from- the back of the screen or the loudspeakers?

Does the buzzing reduce with the volume?

If it is coming from the back then check the fans, they may be dirty and fouling. Or it could be the power supply. Sometimes coils and transformers buzz.

checked the fans and they are fine, buzzing doesnt change when volume is up full or down low or muted, i took the back off the tv to see exactly where it was coming from and it was coming from the middle top of the tv and id say its more a ringing noise but constant, ty for your reply mate

Cliff

Distinguished Member
It is probably coming from one of the coils/transformers on the main switch mode power supply. These coils are dipped in a kind of varnish to stop high frequency vibration and noise. I expect that over the years the coils are less mechanically sound and produce the noise that you can hear. It used to be a very common problem with plasma TVs as the PSU was converting over 300 watts of power and could be noisy.

Annoying, but probably not an indication that there is any serious problem.

Zebade

Standard Member
It is probably coming from one of the coils/transformers on the main switch mode power supply. These coils are dipped in a kind of varnish to stop high frequency vibration and noise. I expect that over the years the coils are less mechanically sound and produce the noise that you can hear. It used to be a very common problem with plasma TVs as the PSU was converting over 300 watts of power and could be noisy.

Annoying, but probably not an indication that there is any serious problem.

so i can find the board that the coils are placed on and replace it from an ebay seller? as parts for this tv are going really cheap was thinking of getting a broken one and fixing it up also as they are that cheap :D let me know please and thanks for your time cliff

JayCee

Distinguished Member
If you can narrow the noise down and it is a coil you can save the expense of a replacement board by coating the coil windings in epoxy resin or similar and let it set before switching on.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom