1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Buzzing noises on ALL 32" LCDs??

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by benwong, May 13, 2005.

?
  1. Not at all: cannot be heard in silent room even with ear pressed up against panel

38.0%
  2. Yes a little: can only be heard in silent room

26.8%
  3. Yes a fair bit: can be heard when viewing at low volumes

25.4%
  4. Yes a lot: can be heard all the time, and drives you totally insane.

9.9%
  1. benwong

benwong

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    HI Guys,

Just a quick one.. does EVERY 32" LCD out there have a buzzing/humming backlight noise of some sort? Just asking, cos I'm still looking to get one of these for my bedroom, but a humming noise would drive me totally insane! :suicide:

After reading about the 9986 and the Hitachi 7200 problems, I'm beginning to wander if ALL screens do this! :rolleyes:

Thought I'd start a poll to see what the findings are! It would be useful to find out which panel you own too, so we can see which makes and models are more likely to be culprits of buzzing! :)

Ben

2. Mad Jack

Mad Jack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    My Sony KLV-L32M1 originally suffered from this kind of problem. But it's not really a hum or a buzz, more like a whine. Fortunately adjusting the backlight and Power Saving settings has allowed me to virtually eliminate this noise. The only problem now is that the Teletext function uses it's own - apparently unchangeable(?) and noisy - picture settings... This means that I've had to cut down on my Teletext usage as prolonged 'exposure' drives me nuts!

As far as the poll goes... If you'd included the same option that was in another recent thread, then I would have voted: "There was a buzz and I have changed settings to make it quieter/stop it. I can live with it". But I don't think any of the available options are ideal in my case.

3. CosmoKramer79

CosmoKramer79

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The only thing that is buzzing in my 9986 is the ambilight, and that is barely noticable with the sound off and a meter from the panel. So I'll have to answer; not at all. AND it is a version 1,3 :eek:. did'nt want the bother of a swap (...again, as the first 9986 I got "automatically" went to standby when fastening the screen to the table stand.) So I just use RGB and wait for a decent DVD-player with DVI out.

4. mephisto

mephisto

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    my H&B HL-3200B does it, im considering sending back for repair - I hate the damn noise!

5. MickyGee

MickyGee
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Can't hear buzzing on the Sharp cos of the fan noise ! :D

6. Rob1698

Rob1698

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ever compared the buzing with the loud rattle and sometimes audible EHT transformer squeak from a classic CRT TV?

7. mephisto

mephisto

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    mines much worse :p id go for a CRT's whine any day over this!

8. benwong

benwong

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, I know the buzzing problem is common on the 9986, I'm just praying that it doesn't appear on the upcoming 9830!! :rolleyes:

Hmmm, does anyone know if the Tosh sets suffer from this too?

Ben

9. richjthorpe

richjthorpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I'll second that ! :rotfl:

10. dave_e_field

dave_e_field
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree with Mad Jack as also have the Sony 32M1.

There's a very slight 'whine' which can be (nearly) eliminated by choosing different backlight/power saving settings.

Power saving = reduced (which i think means On)
    Backlight level = 6

The tone changes slightly when you alter the backlight level from 1 - 10.

11. adm111

adm111
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Had the noise on Hitachi 32LD7200 straight out of box. Returned it after 5 days of use as it was a little annoying at low volume.

12. alefsin

alefsin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I can hear a buzzing noise coming from my Hitachi 32LD7200 in a silent room. It not a problem unless you'd like to watch TV with a very very low volume. It happens when the backlight is low. Interestingly, with the factory default settings you can hear the noise in the "Natural" and "Cinema" picture modes but not in the "Dynamic" picture mode. Dynamic mode is brighter and I guess it all returns back to the backlight settings.

13. adm111

adm111
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I managed to get no noise when back light was set at 20 (irrespective of picture modes). Unfortunately, it was rather uncomfortable at night with the brightness high. The noise was worse when the back light was set between -20 to 15.

I guess I got unlucky with the set I bought. I still plan to get another Hitach set hoping it won't have noise problem.

14. benwong

benwong

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Finally went for the Hitachi 32LD7200 and guess what? I get one with the damn buzzing noise! Very quiet though, and like most others have said, happens when backlight is not set to the highest setting.

Another observation though, even with the backlight set to +20, the buzzing came back when the scene is dark..

Ben

15. Llanowar

Llanowar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had a plasma that had an audbible buzz from 3 mtrs, got a jvc lcd now, and you can hear it with your ears right above it, but not from where i sit at all, the buzz doesn't change with backlight or any setting either, and i'm glad it doesn't!!

16. masher

masher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sharp HVE22 - turn backlight up to max (not auto or any other setting) - buzzing goes away. Adjust all other settings to get good picture (it is possible) :D

Loewe Xelos A37 - turn contrast up to 16 or above - buzzing goes away. Again adjust other settings to get good picture (not as easy, but is possible) :)

If you have any halogen light on a dimmer switch you get the same sort of humming on anything other than full setting :rolleyes:

Problem with the light technology :confused:

17. andrewfee

andrewfee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +500
    Depends on the settings, but just about every LCD will buzz at some point.

I've got a Samsung LE32R41B and if you leave the backlight and contrast at full, there's no noise. As you lower contrast / backlight, the buzz appears and changes in pitch/tone. (there's also a slight hum when the "PC" VGA mode is enabled)

The good thing is that it's a low frequency hum, and you generally can't hear it over television/games, unlike a CRT where you hear the whine over everything.

18. Llanowar

Llanowar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The jvc certainly doesn't have the changing of the buzz with the backlight, it has a buzz if you're with your ear on top of the right side of the screen, but 20 cm above it and you can't hear it anymore somehow (and i've got great ears, seriously) i would hate the buzzing to change with the picture!! (i returned my plasma because of it)

19. swanny78

swanny78

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    I have had my 7200 for a week now, and no buzzing yet, or dark or light scenes.

20. Rob Sheep

Rob Sheep
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've been posting to various threads about this problem for weeks. I have a Tosh 37" and it has a loud buzz. The engineer came out took the set apart and went to work on it. In the end he said that it was a fault with the transformer board (note: other 37" owners suffer this, it is a fault and not a part of the sets character), and that the board needed to be replaced. I spoke to Tosh too many times about this and in the end the set was swapped, only this set now has a buzz. Then there was a loud wife disturbing, 'what was that?!' pop the other night and the buzzing has reduced by half...
    It still has a buzz and it is getting on my nerves :suicide:

21. isi98

isi98
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No buzzing on my philips 32 pf 4320 :thumbsup:

22. o2byzst

o2byzst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got the Samsung LCD LNR328w and I've yet to hear any buzzing sounds when I turn it on. Did you turn off the Melody option? Not sure if that would make any difference but my set has never had any type of strange noises when I turn it on.

23. benwong

benwong

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have you got a copy of Matrix Reloaded? If so, watch the roof top scene where old Neo is having a chin wag with the Oracle (just before the fighting against 2 million agent smiths). Put the TV on mute and listen. Every time the camera is pointing at the Oracle, the screen is totally silent. Each time the camera points at Neo (standing), the screen starts to buzz.. maybe he's just too powerful for the screen to handle! :rotfl:

Ben

24. Llanowar

Llanowar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Lol at the force....uhhh i mean the "one" off course :D
    Did you call hitachi about it? Cause it's a known problem, and i think you might regret keeping it for the sake....if you know it will be around for the next 5-10 years, especially if it's already bothering you now!

25. benwong

benwong

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's only something I noticed on the first night I used the screen.. I think it may be getting better.

If it annoys me after 1-2 weeks solid use, then I'll contact Hitachi.

Just need to turn the tv up a bit :smashin:

Ben

26. Order Sixty Six

Order Sixty Six

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Tosh and yep it's making noises hummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.
    Sort of like that if you see what I mean, should they do this? :lease:

27. Rob Sheep

Rob Sheep
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not really. :devil:

28. Searcher73

Searcher73
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi, I've got the toshiba 32wl56 and had for a week now and to be honest I've heard no buzzing/humming noises coming from it at all, then again my kitchen is right beside my living room and my fridges humm drives me mental, maybe cause my fridges hum is so loud I can't hear any other buzzing noises.