Buzzing noise with new Sony DCR-HC42E

S

sebuwufur

Hi all,
I just received a brand new Sony DCR-HC42E today and despite being very happy with its looks, I am disappointed that when I am recording, a fairly noticable buzzing, almost like a whine comes from somewhere around the battery. This continous buzzing increases when I rotate the camera 90 degrees to either the left or right from the normal upright position again while recording. On playing the recording on TV, some amount of the buzzing noise seems to be a part of the background noise in the recording, though I suppose it should be noted that I performed all these tests late at night when it was very quiet in the house. Finally, the standby, play/edit and camera memory modes seem to have a much reduced buzz that sounds more acceptable.

What I need to know is whether I have a faulty camera that I should return for a replacement. Is this buzzing normal for camcorders, especially the Sony DCR-HC42Es. If anyone has this model please can you let me know if you have noticed this problem at all. The most concerning this is my wife and I are going on holiday in a week and bought this camera specifically for that purpose. So any help that anyone can be provided with this problem will be greatly appreciated.

I look forward to your replies.

Regards

Raymond

I was just looking at buying one of these, your post now gives me concern :( Going to Florida in 4 weeks time and the 39E or 42E was the model I was going to purchase. I have read no end of reviews on the 42E Stateside... and all were favourable.

Hi there,
sorry to put you in this position but it is one better than you might be in without this knowledge. Unlike me you have 4 weeks before your holiday whereas I have 1. This should be ample time for you to trek down to your nearest camcorder retailers and ask them to demo the model for you while it is recording and playing back the recording, on a television and in a quiet part of the shop if you can, though you might need some oil with to persuade them, then you can make your own mind up. The other option is to order one from a retailer or website that allows you to return it for a refund if you are not satisfied for any reason. I demoed three of them in different stores today and found all of them to have this buzzing noise. One of the assistants was so adamant my claims were absurd but became speechless after he played back a recording on the store's television.
My belief is this camera is probably a good camera hence all the good reviews, the reason it was my first choice as well, but personally this noise is not something I am prepaed to accept. As I said, you should try it out yourself and make your own mind up. Also see my other post entitled "Are all camcorders noisy?"

Just out of interest what other camcorders are you considering besides the 42E? Mine are the following in order of preference:

Panasonic NV-GS75 (Quietest I have found so far though yet to have full proof)
JVC GR-D290
JVC GR-DF470

Good luck.

Regards

Raymond

PS: Try before you buy if possible whichever one you choose.

A guy in another forum says "Unless you go for an external mic, you'll always hear the tape drive running no matter what brand you go for".

All I did was pop into my local family run store... not a big retailer... and saw the 39E. Had a play with it and fell in love with it straight away. Trouble is, If I start looking at loads, I will end buying none, as it will no doubt do my head in.

I have just purchased What Camacorder, to see if I can pick anything up in there that will help me decide now.

The 39E/42E appeal as they have the easy mode and shoot well in the dark. Which would be excellent for all the nigt time stuff in Florida.

Although I am at the point of saturation with camera information I am still researching and what you say seems to be the case to an extent but there is also an element of what is acceptable and what is not. I was just speaking to my brother in law who owns the brand I want and he said he did notice this noise while recording but could not remember hearing it on his recordings. He will be checking them to see.

Some more infor you might find useful. So far it seems an external microphone might help reduce the noise being picked up and the 42E does have a hotshoe on which you can mount an external camera, however I believe this hotshoe may only be compatible with Sony microphones. What I am trying to find out now is whether the camcorder has a microphone input jack which would mean you could use any brand. This might be what convinces me to return to the same model.

I did say I was tired: correction to part of last post.....

Some more info you might find useful. So far it seems an external microphone might help reduce the noise being picked up and the 42E does have a hotshoe on which you can mount an external microphone, however I believe this hotshoe may only be compatible with Sony microphones. What I am trying to find out now is whether the camcorder has a microphone input jack which would mean you could use any brand. This might be what convinces me to return to the same model.

The more you research the bigger the headache :(

I have read many reviews now on both the 39E and 42E and all seem very happy with their purchase. There is also many a mention about the buzzing noise. So I think it would be safe to say this is a 'feature' and not a 'fault'.

I really do like the size/style/looks of the Sony... and can see myself going for it for sure. There is also the option of purchasing an external mic for the 42E http://***********/bku2n ...

I have several shortcuts on my Desktop for both 39E and 42E. Both links for the 39E have now increased by £60 in price since I last looked. But the 42E has remianed the same.

Trouble is I have not researched and other Camcorder, just saw the Sony and fell in love with it.

What Camcorder had the following to say for the 39E:

A good selection of features, great playback and wonderfully precise zoom control.

Value for money - 78%
Performance - 87%
Ease of use - 94%
Features - 78%
Overall - 82%

Also I notice the HC90 has got even better reviews and won What Camcorder Best Buy.

Just a note, I eventually bought the same 42E Sony model today and intend on keeping it. It seems the first one I had was faulty. See my reply to your post in which you claim to be a virgin.

Good luck with your search for the camcorder that best fits your peripherals.

I've had a 42E for 2 months and have no problems with the camcorder either making a noise and picking up mechanical noise when recording.

This is one of the reasons I went for the 42E over the Canon and JVC models which did pick up slight mechanical noise during recording.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom