Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

buzzing in NTSC on Toshiba 32MW98DB

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by polar red, Mar 27, 2002.

1. polar red

polar red

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Toshiba 32MW7DB. A few years ago I hooked up a playstation to the set and there was a loud buzzing noise coming from inside the tv, needless to say I switched it off straight awayand the noise stopped. It still happens occasionally if I switch the picture size to 'cinema'.

Since it didnt really bother me, and the tv seems ok I havent had it checked out by an engineer.

My problem is that I've recently bought a multiregion dvd player and tonight I played a NTSC disk and the buzzing came back and was irritating throughout the movie. As soon as I switched off and returned to PAL the noise stopped. It would appear it only happens with NTSC playback.

Has anyone else expeirienced this problem, or does anyone have any idea whats wrong with my tv? Is this likely to happen with all region 1/ntsc disks that I try to watch on my tv?

Please somebody give me some idea whats wrong, thank you.

2. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There was a service pack issued for this tv which fixed the buzzing fault, along with a few others.

This was installed as standard on the very late models but nearly all the models were shipped without it. It also speeded up the teletext, corrected the OSD which would display the channel number occassionally when not meant to and a few other things. It also adjusted a number of the service menu and designer menu settings.

3. Mafty

Mafty
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Although i have never had the same problem as you, I used to get major hissing thru the rears on Prologic inputs such as terrestrial tv.

I have since put this down to the TVs internal amplifier, as I am now running a reciever amp thru the same speakers, and all is quiet.

BTW does anyone know how to access the service menus, as I need to turn the red down, as everything looks pink.
    Is it the same as other Toshes?(press and let go mute, press and hold mute, and press menu on the tv)

4. polar red

polar red

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey mafty,

Yes, its the same procedure for accessing the service menu, I had that problem aswell, and to think, I suffered my blacks looking all red for nearly two years :rolleyes:

5. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had that problem too and it used to get worse over time. Eventually, i couldnt reduce the reds any more and the tv went to be repaired under warrenty. It couldnt be fixed and i got a cheque to buy a new tv.