Buzzing hitachi..should I be worried?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by Von Smittle, Mar 27, 2006.

1. Von Smittle

Von Smittle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +181
    Took delivery of my new Hitachi 42PD7200 on Friday, now it started off fine on Sky+ but since Saturday there has been a buzzing which seems to originate from the center top of the back panel.

It's only when a signal is coming from the Sky+ box, all other inputs (X360, xbox, DVD player will not re-produce this noise) is it something normal for this type of screen?

anybody able to offer any help on this or should I contact digitaldirect reagrding the issue?

thanks

2. sdb123

sdb123
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,255
    What mode is the input set to (dynamic, normal, etc?). As you can see from my sig. I have the LCD version and suffered the 'dreaded' buzz problem; this was more apparent on dynamic mode however was evident with no signal input whatsoever and it happened on all inputs.

I would check the settings first, then maybe change Sky+ to another RGB input to check.....

Steve:)

3. Von Smittle

Von Smittle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +181
    Sorry to sound like a n00b but where do I see what the input is set too?

Yeah with this it's strange because it's only on the Sky+ box that I get it, and it's fine when I'm browsing the TV guide also just when watching tv programmes.

thanks for the help :clap:

4. sdb123

sdb123
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,255
    When you're on a selected input; AV1, AV2, etc. Press the menu button and select 'Picture'. There will be an option to change along the lines of Cinema, Dynamic, Normal.

HTH,

Steve:)

5. Curry Monster

Curry Monster
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +258
    run and HIDE!! its gonna blow.

6. pad

pad
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ive got one of these annoying TV's. See my previous posts I complained about the buzzing as it gets louder. 2 weeks ago after months of arguing they swapped the power supply board as this is whats making the noise. Guess what ... it was perfectly silent.... for 4-5 days , now the buzzing is back on the TV inputs ......

Im in 2 minds wheather to complain again here, as Ive had 2 power supplies and it still buzzes \ squeels and yours is also doing it. Maybe these tvs are just noisy ......but it annoys me each time I watch it .... great way to spend £1.5K and it annoy you every day hay.

One thing is for sure , im not buying anything Hitachi ever again..

7. Von Smittle

Von Smittle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +181
    It is an amazing set though, and was it definitely your power board that the noise was? As it's strange it's only on the TV input and nothing else!

Must admit in 2 minds as to whether to send it back as i've only had it a few days and it is quiet annoying when watching TV. I did wonder if it would do it just because it's new and eventually it would stop....

It's just such a great Tv..:rolleyes:

8. pad

pad
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mine used to do it all inputs, PC was the worst. After the board swap it now just seems to be TV .... trust me it wont go away. Im gonna call Hitachi after to complain .. see what they can do.

9. Von Smittle

Von Smittle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +181
    Maybe you could let me know what they say.....

10. pad

pad
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Will do mate

11. pad

pad
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just demanded a replacement from the shop i bought it from...lets see how that goes down.

Also e-mailed Hitachi ... ive had enough now this TV i have is cr*p

12. camorra

camorra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Get your PSU replaced and calibrated well to your screen :smashin:

It is a bit common and simple problem with the 7200s :rotfl:

Cheerz :hiya:

13. pad

pad
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Will that stop the buzzing and make the picture ok ? , I have already had a new PSU ??

14. MrLondonMan

MrLondonMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I too have a slighty fizzing / buzzing from the top, but I can only hear it if I pop my head over the top. I assumed some noise from transformers etc. would be inevitable and so am thinking nothing of it.

Are those having trouble with this saying that they can hear it even when stood back watching normally? Anybody got a completely silent one, or do they all emit a certain amount of noise, I wonder......? Come on all you 42PD'ers - get your head behind it and see what you can hear!

15. camorra

camorra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Yeah the problem is buzzing transformers...nothing new with 7200's PSUs :cool:

Make sure that the PSU is calibrated accordingly when replaced with the new one :smashin:

Cheerz :hiya:

16. Ruperts slippers

Ruperts slippers
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,252
    If i stick my head over the back of the screen yes i can hear what you would call a slight buzz,but only if i hold my breath at the same time lol.

So its not a problem for me ,but i can imagine if that buzz was audible from my seating postion under normal listening conditions .i would be very unhappy.

17. MrLondonMan

MrLondonMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    But, Camorra....do you reckon they should be buzzing a bit, at least?

I think I am the same as you, Neilios..... I wouldn't say I have to hold my breath, exactly, but there is something at work there. But, as long as it is nothing that they don't all do, I will not worry about it.

18. Ruperts slippers

Ruperts slippers
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,252
    I can remember when i went to choose a screen i actually stuck my head behind alot of the plasma models to have a listen (much to the missus annoyance lol.)

But obviously pad and von smittle's screens sounds like they do have a fault.

19. pad

pad
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all. Just to clear up this confusion mine is VERY noisy, but this is not a buzz as such. Its more like a high pitched squeel when certain images are displayed. The faint buzzing \ humming when you stick ur head over the top I would class as normal. Mine you can hear from 12ft away , even in the next room. Its a very high pitched "squeeling" sound, that comes goes and changes pitch while watching TV. Very annoying ....

It is coming from the power board, but I have had 2 in it now and they have both done it! . Strange thing is they are quiet at first (2-3 days)... then it gets louder ... and louder ... arrggghh

20. MrLondonMan

MrLondonMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, I would say third time lucky, Pad, if you go for another board - but then things also come in threes, so I hope you get it sorted ok. If I could hear it in the other room, I think I too would be just a little put out - to say the least. Hope your gaurantee is still valid!

21. pad

pad
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Guarantee is valid until Oct 06 , so I'm okay yet. Ive complained again to the shop and it's been escalated to hitachi via them and apparently are going to come out and assess the unit as I have demanded a replacement.

Lets see what happens

22. pad

pad
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, It's 99% certain that I am gonna get this unit swapped out. I need to know the cahnces of the new one being the same. Come on all you guys with the 42PD7200 TV , how many are noisy .. should I demand a different model ?

Thanks,

23. MrLondonMan

MrLondonMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, like I say, my kinda "fizzes and buzzes" a bit, but I only notice it if I stick my head over the top (Jeez, it's hot back there!). No way do I hear it when I am in front and it seems like a reasonable level for buzzing, high voltage electronics. I doubt any plasma actually runs on complete silence (see http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=219175) . Also a similar noise exudes from lower down on the right hand side (at the back) - also near one of the transformers, I presume, since that is where the thing plugs in. But, again, not audible from in front.

Actually, I would have thought nothing of it until I read these posts, so I am sticking with it.

Good luck with Hitachi, Pad. I would stay with the same model if you can get a new one (or get the 7500) since it seems like you have just been unlucky and I gotta say, it is a might fine picture. But, your noise levels definitely make the purchase not fit for the purpose it was sold for......

24. pad

pad
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Got a new TV :) ... and it makes more of a buzz than the old one :( ...bloody hell

25. MrLondonMan

MrLondonMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jeez, Pad. Bummer.
    Can you hear it when you sit back and turn the sound down, or just when you lean over it? I would liken mine to the quiet murmur of a pc hard drive/fan but certainly no worse and not audible from in front.

Now are you just being fussy, or have the Gods taken a dislike to you, I wonder.......?

I see you have written on the same thread as Bendo who is taking Panasonic to court. Maybe you too should just get out there and sue Hitachi / supplier?

I think when spending plenty of hard-earned cash, it is always better to pay that bit more and go to the bigger stores (John Lewis etc.) rather than the smaller, local supplier who rarely gives a damn when things go wrong.

26. pad

pad
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can hear it from the front when I turn the sound down from about 10ft away. I can turn up the volume to drown it out... but its annoying.

Also i was chcking it for dead pixels at the weekend ...... and this new panel has one :( :( .. the gods dont like me :rolleyes:

27. MrLondonMan

MrLondonMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Persevere - surely that is not acceptable for a piece of kit that costs what it does?

Demand another one and show them these threads, cos that really does not seem right!

28. pad

pad
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As this is my second TV they will not replace it again and they have said the noise is within specification etc etc. Utter rubbish if you ask me but they have now washed their hands of it and told me if I want an engineer (again) and he deems it "normal" it will cost me £100 !!!!!

I also have just noticed a dead pixel on this one in the middle of the screen .... Hitachi say for 1 pixel they will not replace. What a pile of rubbish this TV is. Anyone reading this DONT BUY AN HITACHI PLASMA....

29. Technoir

Technoir
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Blimey, bad luck Pad. :eek:

I Still haven't bought my screen, what with getting the room decorated, changing my mind, reading about problems, new ranges coming out blah blah blah

You know what, after the amount of convincing i've had to do with the missus that £2K is reasonable to "watch Telly":rolleyes: I dread to think what grief I'll get if the panel i choose ends up being a dud.

30. pad

pad
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Technoir .... trust me my missus is fed up of the damn thing now .. as am I. Many of my mates have bought LCD screens and had no problems... but I would stay STEAR CLEAR OF HITACHI !!!!