Buzzing from speakers

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by RossBurton, Mar 28, 2006.

1. RossBurton

RossBurton
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When my amp is on but the volume turned right down, there is a very quiet buzzing from the speakers. Is this likely to be a problem with the amp, or the speakers? It's always present not matter the source I select in the amp, and disappears the moment I turn the amp off.

Amp: Cambridge Audio A500
    Speakers: Bose Accoustimass 5 series 2

2. Teifiterror

Teifiterror

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Interferance from Power Cables? Bad quality source? tv nearby?

Could be anything at all, used to have it on my marantsz when I played cd's through my pc. went away when I got a cd player though still audiable when turned loud with nothing playing. Gone since replacing power cables on all the gear :D. If you cant notice it when playing music and its not incredibly loud when your not then just ignore it.

Probably the BOSE gear :rotfl:

3. Carl Stock

Carl Stock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Hi, RossBurton. :)

It is not unusual for any amplifier to hiss and hum. I know what you are saying, though, and the hiss (from any make) sometimes grabs my attention.

However, many amplifiers may hiss and hum slightly when there is no signal, but the hiss will quickly disappear when music or movies are played. This is not simply due to the fact that you are listening to the music or movie instead of focusing on the hissing and humming; it is because some amps simply stop hissing and humming when they receive a signal. Amplifiers that use MOSFETs can do this. As an example, my Arcam Delta 290 amplifier uses MOSFETs and hisses a little without a signal, but that soon disappears when something is played through it – even a quiet piece of music. My Cambridge Audio A3i does pretty much the same thing and, in the same instances, the hissing and humming disappear as soon as something is played.

If the amplifier hums or hisses more than it used to, try checking the locations of all of your cables. Ensure, for starters, that all cables are kept away from each other – not easy, I know! Speaker cables and interconnect cables should be kept away from mains cables, and try not to coil any cables up and also try to keep cables as short as possible. It may be worth trying, say, a different interconnect, although I would not say the hissing or humming has anything to do with your speakers.

I hope this helps. :)

Regards,

Carl :)

4. dood

dood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    Hi Carl

I have developed a rather nasty hum on my arcam 290. It wasn't there in another room, so maybe it's just due to the new location in the bedroom (see my thread in the amp forums). It is close to the TV and I wonder if this could be the problem? What worries me is that there is no hum in exactly the same location when I switch to my cyrus amp. I changed mains cables and tried separating speaker from mains cables but no luck. Could it be an earth problem within the arcam?

Obviously I have some work to do - move the amp and speakers to a different location for starters.

5. paulflowe

paulflowe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0