1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Buzzing from speakers on a Toshiba 42WP27

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Jon Weaver, Jun 17, 2003.

1. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Born in Bristol but now in Newport, (for my sins)
    Ratings:
    +660
    Before I start, I want to stress that this is NOT the normal buzzing problem which everyone talks about with the Panasonic Plamsas.. This buzzing is from the speakers!

I bought by Plasma back in Novemeber and it was fine, but it had a very slight fault. In April it went off for repair and I was given a loan set (PW16). 2 months later (to the day) I got my set back and it was in a right mess. Fingerprints all over it and 132 hours clocked up.

However, last night when it was quiet, I noticed a buzzing which I know wasn't there before (on my original screen or the loan set).

Like the buzzinghappens when there is a lot of brightness on the screen, and gets louder proportionally to the amount of white on the screen. So, my inital reaction was that it was a transformer buzz.

However, when I got closer, I noticed that it was coming from the speakers and not the screen!

After testing for a while I found that it only happens when the volume is set to 1 or greater. When its muted or the volume is at 0, there is no noise at all.

From my seating position, the noise sounds like a buzz, but if I go to the speaker, its more of a br-br-br-br-br-br-br-br sound. The interesting thing is that the noise doesn't get much louder when the volume is increased. At 0 its silent, At 1 there is a noise, At 50 the noise is slightly louder, but not much. I guess that this means that interference is being introduced AFTER the amplification stage.

It happens on all of the inputs (PC, AV and RGB/Component), and as a test to provide that its not influenced by any external means I did the following:

1. Removed all connections (so there was only mains and speaker connections)
    2. Selected an input (Lets say 'PC')
    3. Used the 'Invert' feature to generate a white screen.
    4. Put the volume at 0 - No Noise
    5. Set the volume to 1 - Noise.
    6. Turn 'invert' off (Black Screen) - No Noise.

Does anyone have any idea what could be wrong? I guess that its safe to assume that its a 'fault', as it wasn't like this before.

2. symanski

symanski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    When I got my plasma, I hooked it up using the internal amplification as I'd also just moved house and everything was still in boxes! I did notice break through to the speakers too. Sound quality wan't very good at all, and hooking up my A/V amplifier then became a priority.

The solution is an external amplification.

All the best,

Dr John Sim.

3. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +660
    Hi John,

I already have an external DD setup which I use for movies, but I just like the simplicity of using speakers off of the amp for 'normal' TV.

Try as I might, I just can't get used to the 'wide' sound that you get with external speakers in the corners of the room for watching things like the news. Using speakers connected directly to the screen has served me well for 9 months.. The quality isn't great, but its as good as I expected and certainly as good as most TVs can offer.

But before, I didn't have this buzz.. I am just hopeful that when Toshiba provide me with a replacement screen, that won't buzz quite as much (from the speakers or the Screen)

4. symanski

symanski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    My amplifier has a "stereo three" setting where it uses the centre speaker for anything which correlated. This works best for Where Eagles Dare, but for normal viewing I prefer the cleaner sound of pure stereo.

Perhaps your amplifier has similar, it's essentially Pro Logic without the rear channels.

All the best,

Dr John Sim.

5. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +660
    I have a Sony amp and don't have a 3 channel Stereo mode.

I have tried out most, if not all of the modes and can't find anything that I really like the sound off, for normal watching.

I know that a lot of people use their surround system for everything, but it just doens't work for me.

I will have to see if my replacement screen is any better and then take it from there.

6. sjamma

sjamma
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello Jon,
    How good is your memory?! I have just connected my aging 42WP27 directly to speakers for the first time and am experiencing exactly the symptoms described by you, did you ever find a solution?
    Regards,