Buzzing from rear of Panasonic TC-L32X5 LED TV

Discussion in 'Panasonic TVs Forum' started by twiztidrob, Aug 24, 2012.

1. twiztidrob

twiztidrob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I recently purchased the 32" Panasonic TC-L32X5 LED TV, and immediately after turning it on I noticed a high-pitched buzzing noise coming from the back of the set. It can only be heard when you're near the back of the TV. I tried plugging it directly into a different outlet, running it through a UPS, and even running it on battery power, and the sound does not go away. The sound persists even when the TV is muted, and is definitely not coming from the speakers. I have read of other cases where LED TVs will buzz like a dimmer switch, but my buzzing is loudest when the backlight is at 100% and disappears completely when at 0%. Aside from this small issue, the TV is perfect; it has a great picture and amazing viewing angles.

I'm sure it sounds like I'm being a bit picky, but I am really wondering whether this is normal operation. I did not see any mention of this in product reviews, and I'd hate to keep the TV if this is a sign that the power supply (or something else) is about to go. At the same time, I do not want to go through the hassle of exchanging the TV if the new one is likely to be the same or worse, especially since I can't hear the noise when I'm watching the TV normally.

Any advice would be very much appreciated. Thank you in advance.

2. twiztidrob

twiztidrob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone? My main question is whether it is normal for buzzing to be heard from the back of an LED TV. I want to be sure that I do not have a defective transformer.

3. altez

altez
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just bought the TV and set it up yesterday and I'm experience the same thing. I took a look in the manual and it says that it is normal.

4. twiztidrob

twiztidrob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply. I'm guessing that it must be normal operation for this TV since you are hearing the same thing. I just want to check though...where did you buy your TV? I ordered mine from Amazon. As far as the manual goes though, for "Why is there clicking, ticking or buzzing sound coming from the TV unit" it says that "Changes in the temperature and humidity of the room may cause thermal expansion and contraction that can produce sounds." I ignored this because the temperature and humidity of my room are not continuously changing, but the buzzing never stops. This seems like a pretty poor explanation for why the user should just ignore any buzzing sounds coming from the TV. Anyway, I guess there's no point in me complaining about their manual. Thank you again. I really appreciate you letting me know that I'm not the only one with the issue.

5. altez

altez
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No problem! I got my from best buy, plugged it in and heard the buzzing. Kind of annoying but I like this TV from all the other ones I saw at BB.

I emailed Panasonic as well so hopefully they will respond. :cool:

6. twiztidrob

twiztidrob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Keep me posted on their reply!

7. twiztidrob

twiztidrob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just to update anyone who has been reading this: I purchased a replacement from Amazon and it is a huge improvement. From reading the labels on the box I can tell that the TV is from a completely different shipment from Panasonic to Amazon. Now I cannot hear any buzzing unless I have my ear right up next to the back of the TV. (I also want to mention that it actually seems to behave like a dimmer switch now, with the noise dropping off when the backlight is increased to 100%.) It is completely silent when you are more than a couple inches from the back. Now I am completely satisfied with the purchase.

I want to make it very clear that my first unit was defective and I do not want to discourage anyone from buying this TV.