1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Buzzing From Panasonic 32PL10

Discussion in 'TVs' started by tedforbes, May 6, 2002.

Tags:
  1. tedforbes

tedforbes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can anyone kindly help?

I have had a Panasonic 32PL10 for just over two months. When I got it I noticed a buzzing from the speakers, which was very noticeable when the sound was muted, and noticeable at low volumes.

I complained to my dealer within a few days and since then have been going back and forth between them and Panasonic UK. After a lot of 'we'll see what we can find out' from the dealer, and 'no on has ever mentioned this problem' from both dealer and Panasonic, I've now found from this forum that there are problems with a lot of 100hz sets.

Can anyone help me with the following questions:

1) has anyone had the same buzzing problem from the SPEAKERS (as well as from the back of the set) of the PL10?

2) if so, can it be fixed, are some Pl10s better than others or is it simply a fault with the set?

3) do other competitor sets buzz?

4) any advice on which alternative to go for? I fancy the Sony 32FX65, but note the problems mentioned in some postings.

Thanks for any help any one can give me. My dealer and Panasonic made me feel it was my problem, and that I was being unusually demanding....

2. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Ted,

Regarding point 3, I had a Philips PW6515 and that emitted a feint buzz that could be heard at very low volumes. But it was coming from the speakers because as soon as they were muted, the noise went! I now have a JVC AV28R25 and that doesn't buzz at all (but I have other problems with it, which is another story!). I also used to have a very old Hitachi 4:3 and that used to buzz a bit as well.

I think most brands of TV buzz a little. You should look at the thread entitled "Buzzing TVs???" if you haven't already - should answer a few more questions for you.

Good luck with it all! :)

3. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a 32" PL10 Ted and I can't say I have noticed any loud buzzing. There is a slight amount but I've yet to find a tv that doesn't buzz at all to some extent. I'm more concerned about the poor standard of picture I get from my set! There seems to be a lot of visible "grain" on show as well as some extremely annoying mesh-like dark lines that appear on dimly lit scenes especially visible on people's faces and sandy coloured backgrounds. I also find it lacking in sharpness and strong colours (red & blue) seem to flicker badly. Video playback is the worst I have ever seen and my JVC recorder plays back superbly on my bedroom 24" Hitachi widescreen :(

Are you happy with the picture on your set Ted?

Gordon

4. tedforbes

tedforbes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just to thank you both for your replies. In the end I changed the set for a SONY (see my other post just now).

The Sony buzzes as well, but nothing like as badly as the Panasonic, in that the buzzing doesn't come from the speakers.

Gordon WT...I have to agree with you about the picture. Mine was very patchy when watching football, in that there appeared to be dark smudges on either side of the screen. The Sony is crystal clear and the picture is, in my opinion, much clearer. The sound is far far better on the Sony, especially since it has bass, which the Panny lacked. I prefer the Sony significantly over the Panny. Good luck. These faults and problems really spoil the excitement and pleasure that should come from spending such large sums of money, don't they!

5. silver_sam

silver_sam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi GordonWT,

From your above description, would u verify that yr set suffers from Moire effects? These are like wavy thumb prints that visibly appear on people's faces and dark coloured backgrounds.

Also, on NTSC dvd playback and 100Hz flicker is turned on, does your set suffer from a horizontal missing line (abt 2 cm height) across the screen?

Thank you.

6. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes Silver I can verify that what you describe as Moire is exactly the problem I'm having with this set. The other problems seem to have got less.......Panny tubes seem to get better with time.....my previous one was the same.....but the Moire problem is, if anything, getting worse.

I can't comment on NTSC playback though as I don't have a mult-region DVD player.

Gordon