1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Buzzing Center Speaker

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by BrianC, Sep 11, 2004.

1. BrianC

BrianC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    Really wierd problem, my center speaker (whafdale evo), which sits on top of my TV, has an audible buzz when the TV is on, even with the amp, dvd player, etc. turned off.

Any ideas on how I can fix this?

2. Benrudd1

Benrudd1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    Hi,
    I had exactly the same problem. What is happening is that some component in the crossover within the speaker is picking up feedback from the tv set.

Try moving it further from the tv if possible or even below it.

With mine sited below the tv the buzzing was greatly reduced

If neither of these is possible you may have to consider my solution which is to remove the crossover from the speaker and site it remotely.

On my cyrus centre this was reasonably easy as the whole crossover was built into the back of the connection panel, so I just removed this and replaced it with a plain panel, then built the crossover panel into a seperate box. So now the cables go from my amp to this box then onto the centre speaker.

Bit of a fiddle and does require modest soldering skills, but in the end it might be the only answer if you can't live with it.

3. BrianC

BrianC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    I am not able to fit my center speaker under the TV as the speaker is too big to fit between the shelves :(

I'm reallly fed up with it, I get no buzzing if I move the speaker to the left, right, or bottom of the TV so its not enough shielding on the top of the TV that causes the problem.

I can't say I'm keen on chopping up my center speaker, its only a couple of months old, any other ideas?

4. the mechanic

the mechanic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Hi Brian, sorry to hear you've got problems.
    One solution I think may work (if you've got a strong TV top) is to mount the centre speaker on a piece of sheet metal about 3-4mm thick,and the same sized footprint of the speaker.I know this helps for magnetically shielding probs,so should theoretically help for RF interference aswell.