1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

buzzing and Pioneer 434

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by wiped, Nov 7, 2003.

1. wiped

wiped
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've read in the forum regarding the buzzing from the back and top of the 434, i also understood that most of you didn't hear it when you where 2-3 meters away, and not at all with normal volume on the tv.

I got mine yesterday, and the buzzing can be heard 3 meters away when no sound is on, when watching at night with not as high volume level as normal i can clearly hear the buzzing also which is very annoying.

The media reciever fan is not as loud as the buzzing.

To me it sounds like mine is worse than the buzzing on the screens that some people here has recieved, or perhaps i'm just sensitive for that kind of sound.

The problem with the sound is also as you all now is that it changes with blacks/or white so it's hard to get used to it...

Is my screen broken or am i just as i write above to sensitive?
    Should you really hear the buzzing 3 or even 4 meters away or when listening to normal/low levels at night??

Any thoughts??

Can any setting for picture or sound change the sound to the better or worse??

2. loonatic

loonatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I had the same problem with my 433HDE and it used to drive me mad.

The guy from Pioneer thought that the PSU might have a loose fixing or something and was going to have looked into it but I returned it before that took place.

I think that they will all sufer from this problem to some extent - some may be quieter than others and some people may be more tollerant or just notice it less. Playing with the the settings will make little difference unless you set the birghtness to minimum in which case you'll not see anything.

It was one of the reasons why I got rid of mine.

It might not have been as bad if the noise level was more constant.

My current Sony LCD has a fan which is constantly on and can be heard close up. The noise level is low and constant and hardly noticable over the 433HDE.

Sorry I can't be more possitive.

Cheers, Lee

3. StumpyBloke

StumpyBloke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Wiped

Mine is exactly the same it would seem. Dont know if there is anything technically wrong with it though and I dont really notice it when there is any normal volume sound coming from the speakers.

Rich :hiya:

4. Costas

Costas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +121
    Wiped
    In my new 434 I notice the buzzing just a little be than the 433.
    However, it is well below 3 meters. On the contrary from 3.5 meters distance even with low volume I always "feel" the presence of the fan on the media box.... Oh well?!

5. wiped

wiped
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So is this a common thing for all plasmas (e.g. the panel is buzzing) or specific for pioneers panels?
    The buzzin comes from the whole back of the screen (e.g. the plasma panel) and not a specific location like the psu.
    Aninteresting test i did:
    Have a completley black screen and then display a small white text (Pause) (top right) from the dvd, and this makes the screen buzz as high as if the whole screen is white, which is strange..

If i can't stand this i will have to go for a different plasma, and to me the only chioce out of the one i viewed is the panasonic 6 hd, anyone have any buzzing issues with that one?

i believe that when you view the plasmas , in store you will probably not recognize the buzzing since there is always a lot of sound noise in stores.

In the manual for the plasma the only notice regarding noice is the fan in the media box, and that is less distracting since it's low level hum.

a note:

Some say that the buzzing doesen't bother them, i believe it's because they can't hear it aswell as others, the level of the noise in theirs plasmas could very well be the same as in mine.
    My girlfriend for example, can just barely hear it VERY close to the screen.
    A few persons that has visited me does hear it and some don't since it's high frequency it seams that the disturbance is very much based on how good the persons, hearing is.. perhaps for these frequences, others might be more sensitive to the lower frequency of the fan

6. joys_R_us

joys_R_us

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I really am very sensitive to high frequency noise (I hear things noone else does hear) but for me the buzzing is hardly noticeable from 3 meters and this only when I put off the sound and turn my ear towards the panel.

In no way is the buzzing louder than the humming of the fan which is a bit disturbing in the quitness of night. I will move it into a side rack.

But the Pio 434 is just magnificient :clap:

7. wiped

wiped
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Now the plasma is on a table with about 30 cm to the back wall, do you guys think that the sound will be lower/higher if i place it on the wall and also about 10 cm higher up?

BTW, i tested putting a blanket, rug behind the screen on the wall, and i noticed that the sond was lower.
    Perhaps a real sound studio absorbing material should be even better??

8. daveyravey

daveyravey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just got off the phone to currys and they are going to swap out my plasma t another make. I dont believe anyone should pay 3-4 grand and put up with the annoying buzzing that these pioneers seem to have. I sit 13-14 feet away and still here it even at moderate volumes

Any one got a suggesting for a model that doesnt buzz as much as a pioneer panel?

9. jwramsay

jwramsay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    I know exactly how you feel I've had two buzzers from JL and a second hand unit to boot.

I received 434 No4. this morning and ........ an initial test proves that the buzzers were indeed faulty as this sounds acceptable. I can still hear it when I put my ear up to it, but none of this hearing it from 3 meters away when the volume is low nonsense.

So, there are quiet 434s to be had! Just ask for another from your retailer.

10. hailesy

hailesy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    My Panny PWD6 is quiet :smoke:

Just set it up today. It looks amazing and although when you go up to the screen you can hear a really faint buzz at the back. Not noticeable at all.

Maybe its just Pioneer?

Mark

11. daveyravey

daveyravey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think pioneers seems to be the main culprits atm looking at various forums.
    I wonder if Pioneer actually read these threads????
    It would be interesting to see what they had to say on the matter

12. hoppy32

hoppy32

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there,

Recently purchased Pioneer 434HDE and it buzzes. I spoke to Pioneer and they said 'sometimes it takes a few weeks for it to settle in'. I realize that some level of 'buzzing' is expected. But mine seems very loud.

I have looked at other threads and one guy used a 'suppressor' or 'noise filter' device which is connected to the actual power cable on the screen end and this seemed to help.

As anyone heard of such a device? Were could I buy something from to get rid of this buzzing? as its driving me crazy! After just having forked out £3K for what is supposed to be the number 1 rated plasma available I find it very poor.

Any ideas of thoughts very appreciated.

Thanks

Dave

:lease:

13. thebigkung

thebigkung

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hoppy32,

You should have got a mains lead suppressor with the screen. It's just a small piece of plastic and metal(?) about 1 and a half inches long that clips around the power cable.

I don't know about settling in reducing the buzzing.

My plasma was fine for the first four months, just the media box fan to get used to! Now it buzzes like a Hornet on heat! And is on a par if not louder than the media box.

I'm not 'pushing' the box either. I don't have DRE set or high brightness or contrast levels. And it's on powersave.

It's on the borderline of 'just acceptable' to 'driving me nutz' I may have to call Pio soon.

14. Richard QC

Richard QC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As a round up to this issue it is probably fair to say that some sets buzz louder than others and also some people are more sensitive than others to the noise.
    Pioneer must be aware of the problem as I can't believe nobody has reported it to them given all the returns they must have had, 3 from one poor chap on this thread alone!
    My 434 buzzes a bit, but didn't for the first 2-3 months then gradually started, so much for the settling down! At normal TV volumes 2-3 metres away it can't be heard, but at night when its quieter and during quiet segments of the program it can just about be heard, and it is worse with white on black like film credits and the like. PLus it also seems to get worse the longer the set is on and the sound does appear to be more localised to the rear, lower right side as you look at the front of the screen.
    The real annoying thing on a 3-4k item this should simply not happen, we can put men on the moon so it can hardly be a real issue to track the source down and heat sink and/or insulate the problem components or even swap them for higher grade and hopefully quieter bits that do the same job. If the sound comes from the entire back of the screen, ie from the cells as a whole some form of sound damping inside the rear cover must be possible.
    Pioneer should really look into this and retro fit to everybody's plasma, but then my dream ended.....................I wonder if they really do pay any attention to their customers and discussion groups like this?

I guess I'll put up with it until the plasma breaks (after market warranties are far too expensive to be justified) or for another couple of years and then try something different, maybe one of those Themescene 65" DLP tvs?