Buzzing and Humming

paddyjk

Standard Member
Reaction score
I have moved house and set my home cinema back up, but I am getting a constant buzz from all 5 speakers.
Also when the receiver is off the Sub gives off a low hum, but not when the receiver is back on.
The speaker buzz does not change when I adjust the volume.
It's there when I mute the system from all speakers.
It's there when I remove all sources to the recevier.
The reciever is a pioneer VSX -329, i Have had it about 8 years.
I've tried different mains socket and its al new speaker cable.

If its there with nothing else connected including the sub, I would suggest the receiver has gone faulty.

If however, it only occurs when the sub is connected, it could well be dodgy wiring or a fault in the sub. Are they plugged in next to one another or are they a distance apart and plugged into different sockets?

There would still be a hum if the building wiring isn't earthed correctly. Ground loops are not an issue isolated to subwoofers!

Last edited:
There would still be a hum if the building wiring isn't earthed correctly. Ground loops are not an issue isilated to subwoofers!
A hum or ground loop is precisely that, a loop between 2 pieces of equipment. You cannot get a hum loop from 1 piece of equipment.

In unbalanced systems, the audio ground may be connected to the chassis, and hence to the mass of the earth, and in TNC-S or PME earthing systems, to the neutral via the fuse box earth bond.

If a piece of equipment is buzzing on its own, it's normally due to an AC component making its way through the power supply.

Many AVRs are not earthed, as it can cause ground loop issues through HDMI connections to tvs fitted with earths.

Subs can also be earthed, so they tend to be the culprit if connected to a remote socket and linked with a long unbalanced cable - which can also pick up induced noise along its length.

If you use any Trigger ports, try removing them and check if your hum stops.

ive tried different sockets, same with sub in or out.

But the Sub only hums when the AMP is off. The speakers only buzz when the AMP is on...
All a bit strange.

Worth checking you don't have a speaker cable touching an earth point somewhere. Have you tried with just 1 speaker on a short length of cable?

Yeah tried amp wth just one speaker and no inputs. Same issue. Guess I'll bite the bullet and get a new one.
any recs? Not looking to spend a ton of cash , say 400 max

Before you abandon all hope, can you try it in another house or even at work? It could be a wiring fault causing the issue, such as a reversed neutral and live.

Yeah i'll hang on for a bit and take it to my sisters and try it there.

Took it to a different house and alas the issue persists. Guess it's time for a new receiver.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom