1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Buzz off!

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Zaichik, Jun 10, 2004.

1. Zaichik

Zaichik

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +197
    I have a 17" Hitachi CRT TV. It has served me well for over 10 years but, lately it has begun emitting an annoying buzzing noise almost constantly, which gets louder when there are bright colours on screen. The only way I've found to eliminate the noise is to lay the TV with the screen downwards which, of course, means that I can't watch it!

Any idea what might be causing this and is it fixable?

(Thanks for your help.)

2. Uzey

Uzey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would either :-

a) Get a new TV.

or

B) Open up the TV and with the handle part of a screwdriver (while it is on, be f*****g careful) gently push around the PCB at the 'neck' of the tube or around the big block that is connected to the tube. This is called the LOPT (Line Output Transformer) and provides the megavolts required to power the tube up. You will see a 'sucker' type thing connected to the upper part of the tube with a cable running down to the LOPT. Even if pushing it doesn't stop the sound, I reckon that it is bu**ered and will be a cheap (and simple) repair if you know your way round a soldering iron.

Hope this helps.