Question Buzz/hum from CD player

jamoo1980

Novice Member
Hello. I have a new CD player (Roksan Blak CD) which is producing a buzz/hum from inside the unit — possibly from the transformer, I’m not sure. It isn’t constant — it gradually builds in loudness, stays constant for 5/10 seconds, then gradually fades to silent, stays silent for 5/10 seconds, then gradually builds in loudness again, and so on. Sometimes it disappears for several hours — but then it comes back again. Strangely, I don’t think the problem existed for the first week or so (or I didn’t notice it anyway). It seems to have started happening in the last 2 days. The buzz/hum is not ridiculously loud, but loud enough to be heard in between tracks or in quiet sections of music, which is very distracting and disappointing for what is supposed to be an audiophile player.

Does anybody know what could be causing this problem, and how I might solve it?

Thanks!
James

gibbsy

For that price I would certainly want it perfect in every way. It should be totally silent, certainly between tracks but also when the CD is empty and just powered on. It sounds like an intermittent fault which when governed my Murphy's Law will not show itself if you send it in for a warranty repair.

jamoo1980

Novice Member
More background: A few months ago, I returned an Audiolab amplifier because of a similar issue — buzzing from the toroidal power supply, also variable/intermittent. (See my input on this thread.) At the time I thought I‘d had a faulty unit. But now it’s happened with a second piece of kit, I’m wondering: Could this actually be a problem with my mains supply — e.g. DC offset — which is making toroidal PSUs buzz? And how would I test that?

oscroft

Is it worth risking the price of one of these to see if it helps?

jamoo1980

Novice Member
Is it worth risking the price of one of these to see if it helps?
Thanks, that could be good for reducing electrical interference and power spikes. (Plus it looks like a good, solid power-strip, which is no bad thing.) But I think the problem I have is acoustic vibration/magnetostriction from the CD player’s transformer — and I’m not sure a mains conditioner would help with that.

gibbsy

When I consider what's running in my house late at night when I listening on headphones I suppose there is the potential for some mains interference if the house is old. My house is 30 years old and I'm lucky as my mate has his own electrickery business and checks my mains out regularly for me.

Counting what running at night I have, obviously the fridge/freezer, the Sky hub, SkyQ, the SACD player, Rega amp and headphone amp. That's just where I'm sitting. There are also three aquarium heaters switching on and off as well as three pumps. There's also a medical monitor running in the bedroom that has a bluetooth connection. The potential is there for problems is the mains is poor. Luckily all the music stuff is silent.

gibbsy

That's one well heated and well aerated aquarium!
Two aquariums. One is a Covid lockdown with just plants and couple of shrimp and snails in. Looking good. I thought if the missis can have a new aquarium then perhaps I could have a new sub. Quid pro quo. ;)

Does show the amount of appliances that can switch on and off and perhaps effect audio equipment if the electrics in the home are not up to scratch.

Nocturnal

A mains conditioner like the above will do nothing for a buzzing toroidal transformer. My new Arcam amp is buzzing and my mains conditioner does nothing for it, my old Arcam amp had inky black silence... zero buzzing. I've replaced transformers before in older equipment to cure buzzing and it did 100%

Buzzing means it is faulty which is why I'm returning mine.

The latest video from AVForums

Oculus Quest 2 VR headset + Rotel A14 MkII Amp Reviews & Best of the Month
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom