Question buying wall plates, need cable/wiring advice, or map?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by grancave, Jun 18, 2015.

1. grancave

grancave
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hello, my first post here. The name says it all. Building a grancave/cinema and about to buy some wall plates so my speaker cables are tucked away nicely behind the wall. I'm a total novice and have very little knowledge of what plugs into where, so I need some advice, or a decent wiring map with the names of everything on it.

I'm guessing my projector will need an hdmi cable going to the receiver. Please correct me if I'm wrong. The receiver will also have hdmi cables running to xbox, bluray player, and speaker cables (I think). What have I missed? Is there anything else that comes out of the projector, apart from the power cable? From looking at pictures of projectors I see there's a lot of plug holes in the back of them but not sure what they're all for, or if they're all needed.

I need to know because I'm buying wall plates for the speaker and it would be neater if I got one with an hdmi so I can tuck that up in the ceiling and run it down behind the wall to the wall plate.

ps, is a receiver an amp or do I need one of them too? Cheers for any help.

2. simonlewis

simonlewis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,757
    You only need the sockets on the projector that you are going to use for example HDMI lead from amp to projector and it needs a power supply obviously and thats it, yes a reciever is an amp obviously it is designed for home theater and not a stereo amp that you might buy for music.

Hope this helps. :)

3. grancave

grancave
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks Simon. So glad I joined up today. Your answer helps me a lot.

So, if I buy a 5.1 wall plate with an hdmi I'm all set then because everything else plugs into receiver and not into the projector. That'll do me nicely.

4. simonlewis

simonlewis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,757
    Not quite sure what you mean by a 5.1 wall plate, but you are right everything plugs into your reciever blu-ray player and xbox ect and then one HDMI lead to you tv or projector.

5. grancave

grancave
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    [​IMG]

I'll be buying something like this so all my cables are hidden behind the wall and just short ones coming out to receiver.

6. simonlewis

simonlewis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,757
    Okay :smashin: thats a bit beyond my knowledge, neat and tidy though.

7. Member 581642

Member 581642
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,501
    Watch out for the HDMI as always better to have a clear straight through cable for HDMI with no joins.

Get a brush plate for the HDMI and run cable through it, what distance is the HDMI cable ?

[​IMG]

8. grancave

grancave
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Well I've learned a lot from you today. I was seriously bamboozled, and now I (nearly) know exactly what I'm doing. Thanks. ;)

9. grancave

grancave
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    [​IMG]

I'll need a cable approx. 18 feet. What's the brush for?

edit - I googled them. I'll get one of these instead, a 20ft hdmi, then just a plain 5.1 plate for the speakers. Or should I just get a longer brush plate and stick the speaker wires through it too?

Thanks very much.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2015
  10. Member 581642

Member 581642
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,501
    Ok distance is fine.

The brush plate is so the HDMI cable to the projector from the AVR can connect directly without any joins and still look neat.

11. grancave

grancave
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Would it be a good idea to get a brush plate for the ceiling where the projector will be, to feed the wires up through the ceiling too?

12. Member 581642

Member 581642
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,501
    Yes, the less joins for HDMI the better

Which projector is it by the way, as you may want to run other cables just in case at the same time.

13. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,568
    Ceiling - yes a brush plate is ideal, ensure you set it to where the Projector cables need to be and not where the projector mount needs to be.

Screen - ideally you are going fixed rather than drop down, if drop down you may want a trigger cable between the Projector and the Screen or the AVR and the Screen.

Installed cables - can be damaged, HDMI in particular are relatively 'fragile' where the connector mates with the cable so ensure you plan for easy replacement and or a backup cable.

Speaker cables - I tend to avoid terminated plates and again use brush plates, it's a lot less cost and other than the 'bling' factor there is no advantage to terminated plates.

Joe

14. grancave

grancave
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Okay, I'll buy a small brush plate for the ceiling and a bigger one for the wall and put the speaker wires through it too. Neater, eh.

I don't know much at all about projectors yet (there's too many to choose from) but I did read a lot of good reviews about the BENQ 1070/ 1080 so will be wanting something as good as that (or that one). Doing all this on a budget and would hope to spend no more than £400-500 on projector, or fingers crossed I find someone upgrading and selling theirs at a bargain price.

My son gave me his barely used Yamaha RX-V667 receiver and my other son his old LG 5.1 speaker set. Got some wall lights to put up I need cable for too so all the wiring will get done at the same time.

I have an amazon voucher to spend today so I have some speaker brackets in the basket and I'm thinking about this hdmi cable too http://www.amazon.co.uk/IBRA®-Speed-PLATINUM-Range-Cable/dp/B007VPP3WM/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1434632515&sr=8-13&keywords=hdmi+8m

Last edited: Jun 18, 2015
  15. Member 581642

Member 581642
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,501
  16. grancave

grancave
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Good idea to get two. They're a nice price so I'll definitely do that then.

I will be having a screen. Probably home made. I've seen some of the pvc fabric you can buy but was wondering if there's a paint that'll do the job?

I know screen size is a much discussed thing but have my mind set on approx. 84" diagonal with the closest seats only 9' away. That works out at 1.5 times the screen width @6'. Do you think that sounds too big?

Another question I have about projectors is - can you adjust screen size from the projector or does it have to be hung at the exact distance for the screen size you want?

17. Member 581642

Member 581642
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,501
    Yes there is paint, just recommended some to someone today

http://www.smartersurfaces.co.uk/st...jrWsdFx9Gjwbz2L6fuG9TfloRYHG-XowgPxoCk2Pw_wcB

The best thing to do with screen distance is to try it out on a table or stand first before mounting if you can to see what you are comfotable with

Regarding exact positioning most projectors have some adjustment but best to check first to make sure suitable for your room and proposed position.

use http://www.projectorcentral.com/projection-calculator-pro.cfm and it will calculate the position for you

18. grancave

grancave
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for the link. I punched in screen size I'm after and benq1070 projector and throw distance for the projector is only about 95 inches. That's seems a lot closer than I'd imagined. I wanted to try making a wee star ceiling in front of it. I might squeeze one in, just. Can this be right? Is there a way to solve it, another projector that'll give me the space and that screen size?

19. Member 581642

Member 581642
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,501
    Yes its generally spot on

The same website has a feature to allow you to match a projector with your requirements, so you put in your desired throw distance and the size you want to project plus lots of other features.

It will then give you a list of suitable projectors

20. grancave

grancave
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I'll check it out and see what other projectors show up. I've learned so much from you folk today. Can't thank you all enough.

21. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,568
    Projector - will have a zoom, ideally you position it somewhere close to its mid position and avoid the Max or Min setting. Lens shift can be handy too.

Screen - what type of speakers are you considering, the screen usually 'covers' the optimal loudspeaker positions, especially the Centre channel.

Screen size - most Residential projectors have a short throw lens, though your calculations do sound a touch short!

Joe

22. Member 581642

Member 581642
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,501
    Double checked for the W1070 with an 84" diaganol then optimal throw is 8ft

The beauty of just having a wall with projector paint you can adjust the size more to fit your needs if you paint the whole wall

23. grancave

grancave
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I guess what I'm looking for is a long throw projector then, or longer throw? I imagined my 84" screen with a projector about 11-12 feet away. I'll do a search, maybe there's one.

His nibs has built me a block shed. Still to get the roof tiles on but as soon as that's done it's up to me. However, sons want a pool table in there too so I'm sort of left with half that length for my seating.

Shed is 23.5 feet x 13.5 inside.

Was trying to talk them into a bar billiards table tucked in one corner to save space but, no chance.
    So my long term plan is get everything correct as if the whole shed was the cinema and just put up with their pool, darts etc. till they're fed up and then I can shove my second row sofa in there.

p.s. I don't want to put speakers behind the screen because that'll bring the screen forwards and I'll lose yet more space. Mounting two on the walls behind me and the rest neatly in the corners, etc.

24. Member 581642

Member 581642
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,501
  25. Member 581642

Member 581642
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,501
  26. Member 581642

Member 581642
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,501
    Checked price of 8200 and best we could do would be £759

27. grancave

grancave
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    There's an 8200 is on ebay right now and ends in a couple of hours. I'm tempted. Read a couple of reviews that have put me off a bit, but it's a good example of a bargain and I expect there will me more like that.

Would you guys recommend the viewsonic pro 8200 as a first projector then? The throw rate it has is what I'm after.

Also, if I hang this from an 8' ceiling, can I straighten the image on the wall? Is that called lens shift or something?

Last edited: Jun 19, 2015
  28. Member 581642

Member 581642
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,501
    Viewsonic arent that well know but for a budget projector i'd go for it as it meets your requirements.

You would use Keystoning to adjust the image shape

29. grancave

grancave
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi, just an update on what I did. I bought the Benq w1070 after all. Lovely picture. The distance from screen (just the wall at the minute) is not as close as I feared so I've still room for a star ceiling.

I bought those brush plates as advised and also doubled up the hdmi in case one fails. Things are starting to look good.

Cheers.