1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Buying US / Euro spec Camera

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by onlyme, Mar 18, 2004.

1. onlyme

onlyme

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello, can anyone give me advice on purchasing a US / Euro Spec digital canera. I've been looking on ebay and I've also got a sister going to US next week and was going to get her to bring one back for me. I just want to make sure I'm going to get more hasstle than the potential saving is worth!! ie compatability problems etc.

Also the camera I'm interested in is a Canon IXUS400 (S400 in US / Euro) costing around £250 here (under £200 in US). Is there other cameras I should consider in the Canons Spec and price range, in terms of better quality and features. This will be my first digital camera so am a bit 'green' on this subject.

Cheers

2. Jayde

Jayde

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hiya :)
    I get the feeling u want a small point n shoot camra and save some money ? and not a more complicated camra..lots more canons to choose from..Canon's Baby PowerShot Digital ELPH SD10 / A80 or G5

plz read some >pro< reviews here :rolleyes:
    http://uk.pricerunner.com/photography/digital-cameras/browse?sort=7
    or
    http://www.steves-digicams.com/diginews_aug2003.html#bestof2003

BUT ...
    if your brave, look at the superzooms, (@ steves above link) lots more fun for very little money in US.. £200 ish
    pana FZ10 is the new Star..be warned u will want one.. 4mp and 420mm zoom with anti shake he he.. only £353 here in UK

or
    new> Minolta Z2 -- updated From Z1 also nice !

both their forums here..
    http://www.dpreview.com/

ps :eek:
    get spare battery if buying pana from US, pana spares are hard to find in UK !

good hunting..

3. Jayde

Jayde

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  4. onlyme

onlyme

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the advice Jayde. Yes you were right I was looking for a small easy carried point and shoot camera. However these superzooms are awsome. I intend to use my camera mostly for taking the usual holdiay snaps so if it was small I'd be more likely to bring it out if I could fit it in my pocket. However I also go to some motorsport events where a big zoom would give amazing results I'm sure. One to ponder, but thanks again for the helpful comments and links.

5. Jayde

Jayde

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hiya
    oh good, im glad to help..

motorsport, whoaa thas decided it then ha ha
    but seriously ask around ok

let us know what you decide he he

Regars.