Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Buying TV in one hour, which one from these links?

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by KopiteLad, Oct 8, 2004.

1. KopiteLad

KopiteLad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The SONY KV32HX15U or the Panasonic - TX32PM1?

Going to buy one of these in the next hour or so...and dunno which one to go for.

Which one would you go for?

The Panasonic details and Pics are here.

Click Here

The Sony details etc are here:

Click Here

2. mdinch

mdinch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm sony biased my self but for £529 the pany looks like a very good buy. There's not much to separate the two going by the spec. Try to compare them side by side if you can. Also, there's no mention of RGB enabled AV sockets. You should have at least one RGB socket on the tv.

Here's a thread about the pany if it helps.
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-135926.html

Good luck :thumbsup:

Mel.

3. Ozzy

Ozzy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    AFAIK both only have one RGB SCART.

4. TVhomejs

TVhomejs
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :)

Very, very few 50 Hz sets have more than one RGB-scart.

Knud

5. TVhomejs

TVhomejs
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    About PM1 (or PM11): I haven't been able to find any detailed specifications for this set anywhere. You can't find specs at Panasonic-sites or in their catalogues. Several posts from AV-forums, I've visited, ask if there are any differences at all between the earlier model PS1 (PS11) and PM1 asides from the design? One theory is that Dixon, UK, had this model specially produced from Panasonic. That explains why one of Dixon's large nordic partners, Elgiganten/Elkjob, has recently marketed PM1 (and PM11) in Denmark, Norway and Sweden.

I personally speculate about the PM-series being manufactured in countries with low labour costs, like Hungary, Poland and the Czech Republic? All the newest Philips 50 Hz models are being made in these countries (instead of France for instance). Having bought and returned several of these models, I'm not impressed, though more features have been added. Too many small, irritating flaws. But of course they have to learn!

The PS1 has no vertical position shift for 16:9 and 14:9 zoom - and no 14:9 zoom at all with RGB - most new Sony sets have. Sony sets also usually have a RGB-centering feature. Often RGB-picture is moved 4-8 mm to the left or right (caused by "sync puls delay"). This feature can correct this - for the whole 16:9-picture, not for the position of a 4:3-picture in a 16:9-picture alas! As I remember it, you couldn't store different picture settings (brightness, contrast) for composite and RGB-connection, correct me if I'm wrong. And I had to have different settings because the the picture with RGB was too much to the dark side! So most likely these limitations also are relevant for PM1.

Knud

6. TVhomejs

TVhomejs
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :clown:

Well, one thing is to speculate, another thing is fact: According to the website of Elgiganten, DK, 32PM11F, 28PM1F, 32PS11 and 28PS11F are all manufactured in Czech Republic. For 28PS1 no country is mentioned. So much for that!

Knud

7. timbo_bobcat

timbo_bobcat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Please tell us what you bought, KopiteLad! It's only fair after asking for advice...