Buying tomorrow - Choice of 3?

boingboing

Novice Member
As the title says I'm plunging in tomorrow with credit card at the ready and have a choice of three 42" TV's. I have Xbox 360 (mostly playing PES6), Sky+ (Probably HD in the New Year) and Pio 575 DVD player yet again will probably get the Xbox HD-DVD in the new year.

So my choices are as follows:-

1. Panasonic TH42PX60PED
2. Hitachi PD9700U
3. Toshiba 42WLT66

Please select, advise, encourage, discourage as I am non the wiser and would appreciate some advice please.

Kind regards:thumbsup:

p.s. If it means anything my lounge is 21' x 21' and we sit 3-5mtres away from the set.

kevmarshall

Novice Member
What is the rush for tomorrow? This is a large and important purchase and not really one to be "jumped into" on a whim and a few recommendations.

I spent well over a month on here and researching elsewhere before I dared to jump in.

You will get some great ideas and advice on these forums but it is important to see these units in action and preferably not in a badly lit superstore.

As the title says I'm plunging in tomorrow with credit card at the ready and have a choice of three 42" TV's. I have Xbox 360 (mostly playing PES6), Sky+ (Probably HD in the New Year) and Pio 575 DVD player yet again will probably get the Xbox HD-DVD in the new year.

1. Panasonic TH42PX60PED
2. Hitachi PD9700U
3. Toshiba 42WLT66

Please select, advise, encourage, discourage as I am non the wiser and would appreciate some advice please.

p.s. If it means anything my lounge is 21' x 21' and we sit 3-5mtres away from the set.
For games, I would go for LCD (e.g. Sony 40W2000) because of screen burn problems with plasma

From the makes you give I would choose Panny 600 (not 60)

jpb82

Novice Member
the problem with the sony 40w2000 is that this model
suffers from awful backlight bleed just read the horror
stories over in the lcd thread.

imp the best 40" lcd ive seen is the sony 40v2000
although i haven't seen the sony x series.

if your considering a panasonic plasma i would also surgest
the px600 instead of the px60

boingboing

Novice Member
Kev - I've been looking for about 3wks intensely and monitoring it for about 3mths and I was going to buy the Tosh. but have waited for the prices to drop. I have seen them in operation at Empire Direct in Merry Hill and have to say that I was very impressed by the Panny 60.

What is the difference between the 600 and 60 then?

swannie

Novice Member
I dont know about the other two screens that you mention but i bought the panny TH42PX60B today and have plugged it in and so far am well impressed. Bought it from Richer Sounds got them to price match at £961.

Searcher2

Just a SD memory card reader and better speakers which cost an astonishing £1000 extra.
No it doesn't... it's about £500 more... and it has PIP and is considered to look better too. But I still don't think it's worth £500 anyway.

Bada Bing

Novice Member
For games, I would go for LCD (e.g. Sony 40W2000) because of screen burn problems with plasma
What issues would those be? I've been using games consoles with RPTV's and plasma's for nearly 10 years without a single instance of screen burn.

It only happens to static displays which are on for days on end. This kind of ill-informed scaremongery is precisely what buyers of neww TV's don't need.

Hairy

If your happy with the look of the PX60 then go for that.I got the PX600 mainly for the looks.

boingboing

Novice Member
Searcher2 - I remember seeing that you'd bought a Panny 60 too. Are you pleased with it? Also any signs of the snakes yet as I remember that you were feeeling left out.

Searcher2

Searcher2 - I remember seeing that you'd bought a Panny 60 too. Are you pleased with it? Also any signs of the snakes yet as I remember that you were feeeling left out.
I have posted in the colour problems area - yes I found the snakes after having a bit of help find a scene in King Kong with them in. It was hard work finding them so I wasn't worried by them at all.... but once I knew they existed and how to find them I spotted them very easily on Torchwood the other night. Not a brilliant photo but see post 671 in here

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=394430&page=17

I think in normal viewing - as long as I can don't start looking for them it could be fine but I haven't watched 'proper' tv since.

I am not sure what I would do if I had to buy again as I wouldn't want to pay over £1000 for a TV with only 1 year warranty... so maybe a Pioneer from ED/JL?

kevmarshall

Novice Member
I am not sure what I would do if I had to buy again as I wouldn't want to pay over £1000 for a TV with only 1 year warranty... so maybe a Pioneer from ED/JL?

I thought Panasonic were offering 5 year warranty at the moment?

( BoingBoing - come on you Baggies!!)

Searcher2

I thought Panasonic were offering 5 year warranty at the moment?

( BoingBoing - come on you Baggies!!)
They are if you buy through selected dealers.... but the only way to be certain to avoid the purple snakes is not to buy Panasonic... the way to do this and get a quality set is to buy a Pioneer it seems. Pioneer are well over £1000 (which was my budget as I was originally looking at a £600 LCD) - and I wouldn't want to pay over £1000 and only get a 1 year warranty.

I was saying I would not know what to do if I got a refund on the Panny - possibly seek out a Pioneer with a better warranty than 1 year e.g. buy through JL or ED. The cheapest option is not to look for the snakes - I never saw them before I knew how to find them!

hornetrider

Standard Member
Yes Richers give you the 5 year warranty - I bought my PX60 through them. Can highly recommend the set, no purple stuff on mine, no retention much less burn and I play a LOT of Xbox 360.

The only negative is ever so slight green tinging on fast moving 360 images (Gears of War) but its hardly noticeable at all, only if you're really looking for it, and it doesn't detract from the gaming experience in the slightest.

I'd recommend one to anybody

J

Jay2006

Has anyone been able to get the PX60 from Richer Sounds with cab for less than £1299 with the 5 year warranty as I'm thinking about heading to the Leeds one on Saturday.

hornetrider

Standard Member
I may be wrong but I think Richers only do the pedestal version - why not ring them and find out?

J

Jay2006

They do according to their website.

I do plan on calling later when I get a spare second at work and the phone stops ringing.

I was just wondering whether anyone had managed to get them to do a deal for the TV for lower than the advertised price. Perhaps by a PM.

metin

Novice Member

1. Panasonic TH42PX60PED
2. Hitachi PD9700U
3. Toshiba 42WLT66

I would NOT buy a LCD !! The quality on SD is rubbish! I visited my nephew who has 32" sony bravia and I was shocked when watching footie on Sky!
HD contact was very good though. I spent over 4 months researching b4 buying, so you can take your time! I would save up more money, do abit more reading then buy the FUJITSU 58 Series !!!!!!!!:clap:

hornetrider

Standard Member
Oh yeah, they do do that. They match internet prices, so I took in the cheapest at the time (Gultronics), the guy in Richers rang Gultronics up to confirm their price including p+p, pricematched that and knocked a further £50 off (as thats Richers policy).

boingboing

Novice Member
Ok. Decided to plumb for the Panny 60PED. Due to value for money, awards won and recommendations. Richer Sounds will price match any price on the internet as long as I can take them evidence at time of purchase. They have none in stock at the moment but are getting one in for Tuesday for me.

The cheapest price on the net i can find is £961.99, am I right hornetrider is that they will knock another £50 off this too? Is that their policy?

It was between the Hitachi and the Panny in the end and I probably just favoured the Hitachi set (which was £1161, cheapest), but the Panasonic price swung it for me, £200 cheaper and a five year warranty cant be bad in my books.

Many thanks to all that have replied, I do appreciate your advice and time as when spending this amount of money you want to get it right.:thumbsup: ;)

J

Jay2006

They do according to their website.

I do plan on calling later when I get a spare second at work and the phone stops ringing.

I was just wondering whether anyone had managed to get them to do a deal for the TV for lower than the advertised price. Perhaps by a PM.

Arghh. I could cry. Just spoke to a very polite gent at Richer Sounds and they don't have the PX60 with the Cab. He informed me that they're selling out really quick due to the low prices now that they are being replaced by the PX600.

Will try Electo Saver as they have a store in Bradford.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Marantz SR7015 & NAD T 778 AVR + Mission LX2 MKII Speaker Reviews, AV & Film News and More

Latest News

Lithe Audio AirPlay 2 ceiling speakers world's first
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Humax launches AURA 4K Freeview Play Recorder
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Fyne Audio adds new standmounts to F1 speaker range
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Mark Levinson expands 5000 Series with amplifiers and players
  • By Andy Bassett