Buying tickets off ebay

Fergal82

Distinguished Member
Anyone know if buying tickets off ebay is ok?

Am looking at some tickets that are available on eBay but the buyer has (2) feedback which is a bit off-putting.

If they were to scam me, ie send blank bits of paper recorded delivery would I still be protected by eBay?

Thanks

Greg Hook

Moderator & Reviewer
I wouldn't risk it if it were me.

Fergal82

Distinguished Member
Any way I've asked them to send a picture of the tickets with their username written on a bit of paper so we'll see

MrSossidge

Distinguished Member
Ticket listings on ebay aren't allowed. Often listings are cancelled by ebay. So if you 'win' then ebay won't cover you if they don't arrive.

alphaomega16

Distinguished Member
Wouldn't touch stuff like that on ebay with a barge pole.

I don't even remember the last time I purchased something on ebay.

Edit
LOL

7th July 2015
MORPHY RICHARDS SPOUT FILTER FOR 102001, 102004, 102005, 102010, 102011, 102012

Ebay has gone downhill a LOT in the past few years imo.

Fat_Tony

Distinguished Member
Ask them can you come collect, even if it's not feasible for you, a scammer will refuse, a genuine seller would have less reason to say no

nheather

Distinguished Member
What concerns me about tickets is that you won't know for sure whether they are genuine until you turn up on the day.

If you get turned away you should still be able to pursue a refund through PayPal (but that might be interesting in itself) but that isn't goung to help with related expenses like travel and hotel or the missed opportunity and the disappointment.

Cheers,

Nigel

Last edited:

Fergal82

Distinguished Member
What concerns me about tickets is that you won't know for sure whether they are genuine until you turn up on the day.

If you get turned away you should still be able to pursue a refund through PayPal (but that might be interesting in itself) but that isn't goung to help with related expenses like travel and hotel.

Cheers,

Nigel
I agree, its fraught with potential risks, fake tickets, tickets not turning up, etc. Looks like it's back to the drawing board

MrSossidge

Distinguished Member
Gumtree - be careful here also, StubHub, Getmein for tickets. There are other sites aswell.

alphaomega16

Distinguished Member
I think event tickets should have surnames on them and ID required before they accept them, would cut down on the amount of people buying just to resell and all their info will be saved so if they do try it they can be massively fined for it.

Fergal82

Distinguished Member
I think event tickets should have surnames on them and ID required before they accept them, would cut down on the amount of people buying just to resell and all their info will be saved so if they do try it they can be massively fined for it.
I think they tried that with a concert fairly recently didn't they? Not sure if it's taken off but a great way to stifle the touts etc

Fat_Tony

Distinguished Member
Ive always maintained it seems a very solvable problem, but I guess too many people make too much money with the current system

DrPhil

Distinguished Member
Ive always maintained it seems a very solvable problem, but I guess too many people make too much money with the current system
And there lies the issue.

Aren't either Stubhub or Getmein owned by Ticketbastard? There is definitely one of the major resellers of tickets owned by TM which makes a farce of the whole issue. It's not in their interest to stifle touting because they are basically touting themselves. They sell out at cost value knowing full well that a large percentage of the tickets will end up on the secondary market and they will be getting a cut of the vastly inflated tout prices too.

Ste7en

Distinguished Member
I've sold tickets on Ebay.

x2 tickets to see Nine Inch Nails. Something came up and I couldn't make it :(

I'm wondering if the fact that I used 'Buy it now' and set the amount at the ticket prices had some bearing on my listing being allowed.

Fergal82

Distinguished Member
I've sold tickets on Ebay.

x2 tickets to see Nine Inch Nails. Something came up and I couldn't make it :(

I'm wondering if the fact that I used 'Buy it now' and set the amount at the ticket prices had some bearing on my listing being allowed.
The tickets I'm looking at are set as buy it now with best offer also. However, I've asked for a photo of the tickets with his username in the photo and he's not responded so that's obviously a red flag

hippo99

Distinguished Member
The tickets I'm looking at are set as buy it now with best offer also. However, I've asked for a photo of the tickets with his username in the photo and he's not responded so that's obviously a red flag
Although at the same time, official police advice is not to upload pictures of your tickets online as scammers can take the image & make a convincing duplicate with your real bar code & serial number - same would hold true if a 'scammer' (not meaning you) asked you to email a photo of your ticket on gumtree...

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...
Top Bottom