Question Buying this year....Denon AVRX2300 or something else?

fearce

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Been a while since I've been on here so good to see it flourishing.

I currently run a samsung soundbar (hwk650) that to be honest i've never been enthisiastic to switch on as for example the speech clarity is often often more drowned out than the TV itself.

That's got me thinking to moving to a better kit. My requirements are:

- Listening to music (bluetooth stream and anything through TV) - want to negate need of buying separate hifi components and use one set up.
- May want to add other sources later like a CD player.
- Better sound for TV shows / Movies - primary source through Netflex / Prime (through TV)
- In terms of AV surround sound, not to fussed at the moment of having full 5.1 / 7.1 set up but would like upgrade option.

Cutting to the chase, i've been looking at the used market and can potentially get a 2300 for around £200 - I then need to factor in costs for some mid priced speakers (floor stand or bookshelf).

Questions I have are:

1. For ~ £200 (give or take another £50 - £60) is there anything else I should consider, for example richer sounds are selling a new Denon x550BT - is that a better buy then a used x2300 at £200?

2. I assume answer is yes, but even with a 2.1 / 3.1 setup on the x2300, I assume sound will be a lot better than current soundbar?

3. linked to the above, can I configure the x2300 to run in just 2 chanel stereo, or any combination of surrouned e.g. 2.1 / 3.1 etc?

I know there is a separate x2300 owners thread, which I'm reading through and will post on there, but thought i'd ask some bits here too.

thanks

Hi,

i previously had a denon 2300 and was very pleased with the performance, however music wasn't too great, unfortunately if that is something of high importance to you, you may struggle to find an AVR in your price range which would suffice, at a minimum i would be looking at a marantz 5x/6x series AVR, but ideally moving up to the arcam, anthem, nad range, again these are much more costly.
However to answer your Questions.

1) The 2300 will be better than the x550 imo, it a higher tier model, however personally i would be reluctant to purchase second hand, although a lot of AVForum members have had great success going down the second hand route.
2) Yes
3) Yes, however depending what speakers you decide on, i would look to add a sub into the mix even if just going with 2 speakers initially.

Hope that helps you start off

With your budget and needs, I would forget an AVR and just get a stereo amplifier and a pair of speakers. Or, get a pair of active speakers (where the amplifier is in the speaker).

AVR's are very compromised in terms of acting as a decent hifi system for music, unless you go for an Arcam or a Nad, but they are out of budget.

Hi both interesting.

I understand - for stereo - music stereo amps are best.

Rambles are you suggesting I can get a stereo amp and then also use for film and movie sound?

Would that be better than a sound bar I have today.

I thought an AVR like the x2300 and some good speakers would be a good low / mid range set up and be decent enough for music as well as surround, but sounding like not?

Are we saying not good at all for music, OR not good as a dedicated mid range hifi amp for example?

It depends on what your expectations are when it comes to music. Certainly it's going to sound better for music than a soundbar but it's not going to be anywhere near as good for music as a dedicated stereo amp. You don't need to go to a 'mid range' stereo amp for a significant improvement.

The Denon PMA-600 has digital inputs that could be used with a TV and music sources and also allow you to connect a subwoofer.

Denon PMA-600NE Black | Stereo Amplifier | Richer Sounds

Rambles are you suggesting I can get a stereo amp and then also use for film and movie sound?
Yes!
Would that be better than a sound bar I have today.
Yes!
I thought an AVR like the x2300 and some good speakers would be a good low / mid range set up and be decent enough for music as well as surround, but sounding like not?
Yes and No. As gibbsy says, it depends on expectations.

A stereo amp (or a pair of active speakers) should sound very nice for music and pretty decent for films and TV too. But no surround sound at all. Having said that, you might be pleasently suprised at how good stereo imaging can sound if you have it set-up well.

Whereas an AVR like the Denon x2300 would sound pretty decent for films and tv in surround sound, but you may find it brash and uninteresting for music.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom