Buying the boyfriend a LCD Tele for Xmas - so much to choose from - Help

Fu Manchu

Standard Member
Reaction score
:hiya: Hi Guys & Girls :hiya:

My B/F has been dropping hits about me getting him a LCD Flat Screen for Xmas & I am in need of some assitance

I seen one in a local comet or currys at the weekend - it was a -
Samsung LE32R74BD 32" LCD Flat Screen TV

Now this one fits in with the price range I can afford & the size etc are all perfect (I believe the contract ratio:suicide: is 5000:1 - which I am being told is very good)

But I would just like some help as I dont want to spend a lot of money on a TV that turns out to be rubbish

My B/F would simply be using the Televison for its most basic functions (Not conected to PC's, Games Console etc.) simply Sky, DVD Player & VCR

Thank you for looking & thank you all in advance

x :thumbsup:

A Samsung 32" R7 would be a great choice in my opinion, wish my gf would get me one...
have a look at the promotional codes thread and buy online to save yourself a few pounds, there is a 10% off voucher floating about for Currys/Dixons i think, plus you get a better price at their online store!

Good luck!

:hiya: Hi Guys & Girls :hiya:

My B/F has been dropping hits about me getting him a LCD Flat Screen for Xmas & I am in need of some assitance

I seen one in a local comet or currys at the weekend - it was a -
Samsung LE32R74BD 32" LCD Flat Screen TV

Now this one fits in with the price range I can afford & the size etc are all perfect (I believe the contract ratio:suicide: is 5000:1 - which I am being told is very good)

But I would just like some help as I dont want to spend a lot of money on a TV that turns out to be rubbish

My B/F would simply be using the Televison for its most basic functions (Not conected to PC's, Games Console etc.) simply Sky, DVD Player & VCR

Thank you for looking & thank you all in advance

x :thumbsup:

Dump him and come watch my Toshiba 32 and save the money for some new clothes :devil:

It should be ok but samsung owners will be of more help Good luck

Well theres an offer I didnt see coming :eek: lol

Very naughty - better not let my B/F see this post or buying a Television isnt the only thing I will have to do :D :D :Dlol

Thank you for the advice U'R'ss

Thank you mike

I will have a look at that promotional codes threads

Thank to both of you for the quick responce's:clap:

Well theres an offer I didnt see coming :eek: lol

Very naughty - better not let my B/F see this post or buying a Television isnt the only thing I will have to do :D :D :Dlol

Thank you for the advice U'R'ss

:thumbsup: :devil:

Lucky boyfriend...:) Seriously though I have seen a relatives Samsung 32" LCD in action and it looked just fine to me....Bear in mind if you read the advice on the forums these sets fresh outa the box may not give a picture perfect until they have been properly set up by the user.Happy viewing...:thumbsup:

Ok so far it seems like I made a good choice (Good luck more than good judgement I can assure you )

Thank you all for your help

My head was spinning today - trying to fiqure out what HDMI, SRS, TruSurround XT & all that other good stuff means:confused: :confused:

Thank goodness I signed up

32" LCD Flat Screen TV

Is size really that important? If it is splash out on a really big one (like a 50" plasma)?

Thinking about it why not get one of the tiny 3 inch ones from maplins, after half an hour in the pub, he'll claim its 32" anyway !!!!!!!!!!!!

Thinking about it why not get one of the tiny 3 inch ones from maplins, after half an hour in the pub, he'll claim its 32" anyway !!!!!!!!!!!!

Reads post.... looks at users sig - 32' toshiba yeah?! :rotfl:

Well I was all ready to buy the Samsung LE32R74BD 32" but after browsing through the forum I have found another tele which I think I like but tbh looks like it has the same specs as the Samsung

Now I am a bit of a bimbo when it comes to technology but are there any major differences in spec between the following 2

http://www.soundandvisiononline.co.uk/moreinfo/index.asp?product_id=10710

&

http://www.beyondtelevision.co.uk/thisProduct.asp?ID=686

There is only a couple of pounds of a difference

:suicide:

Just spotted that the contrast ratio on the toshiba is 1200:1 & on the Samsung is 5000:1

You can't really trus the contrast ratios given... As lots of companies lie about that sort of thing by giving you the "Dynamic" contrast ratio which is different... Also the way they measure them is a little bit of a cheat... The actual contrast ratio will both be around the same and sub 1000:1 in real life...

I'd go for the toshiba because I trust the brand more and because of the better inputs... but i'm no expert!!!!

Ahh you've opened a hell of a can of worms for yourself by finding the Toshiba ;)

Both TVs are quite well respected here with very few unhappy owners of either. The Samsung is definitely nicer to live with (i.e. it's pretty) but by all accounts the Tosh may pip it for performance, although it isn't exactly miles better.

Contrast Ratio isn't the be all and end all and usually the manufacturer's marketing (Samsung's 5000:1) maybe be bending the truth a little. Alas, both are nice TVs and will give you good performance. Personally... for the looks and reasonable performance, I'd get the Samsung. :)

Actually, the Tosh has 600:1 as where the Samsung has around 1000:1 to 1300:1.

I think your best option is Samsung as it has better screen then Toshiba but its video processor kinds sucks when compared to the Tosh.

PS: Contrast ratio of a display panel doesn't determine the color fidelity or the black level.

The main difference between your 2 posted links is that the Samsung has integrated Freeview. If you want Freeview on the Toshiba check out the more expensive 32WLT66

My toshiba 32wlt66 arrived last thrsday ( my xmas present to myself. GF just laffed when i sugested she get me 1 for xmas).

Have to say i well impressed with. 1st outing into LCD land and i havnt got any colpaints, apart from iffy remote.

If this TV is to be your main one in your living room I would try to spend a little more and go for a 40" model.

Even a 40" screen starts to look small after you have lived with it for a while!

The LE-40R74BD is available for about £900, so better to pay a few hundered more now than £900 in 12 months time (unless you fancy moving the 32" to your bedroom).

If image quality and viewing angles are important then spending a little more on the N series would be worth while as when I have seen them side by side the N series stands out as a lot better.

Then again by the time you have finished you may as well spend £1450 on the Pioneer PDP-427XD 42" Plasma! It not only looks the part but has very good image quality.

Good luck with your quest!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom