1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Buying the AVR200

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by tan1415, Jun 29, 2005.

1. tan1415

tan1415

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I am a guy who watch movies 80% to music 20%
    Is buying the AVR200 a good Idea?
    I like it because I have never had a music first receiver...and I had heard a lot of good thing about it.

Teh AVR300 is out of my price range and the AVR250 is not a real option because I dont need a 7.1 amp.
    5.1 is the most i'll be using. What's teh difference between teh AVR250 and 200 besides the extra two channels?

I now have the Sony 940 QS. Extremely happy with it...but I think it's time to move on.
    Will the AVR200 be superior in HT?
    I know it will be better in Stereo.

2. Greggles

Greggles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    The AVR200 was an updated AVR100 (Arcam's first digital receiver) with improved base management and the inclusion of DPLII. When it was launched it compared well with similarly priced japanese amps, especially for music replay. In the rapidly developing world of AV, however, the AVR200 could at best be described as obsolescent. The upside: If you can find one (ex-demo?) , they can be purchased very cheaply.

The AVR250, on the other hand, is a slightly stripped down version of the AVR300, both of which are excellent products, for both CD replay and Movie soundtracks. If you are not intersted in 7.1, why not bi-amp the front two speakers with the extra channels for a great 5.1 setup.

3. tan1415

tan1415

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How does the Arcam compare with a NAD t763 or a Pioneer AX5?

4. radio

radio

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Do a search a post from me about the nadt763 direct comparison... nad was my second choice when i was purchasing the av unit... i did not go with the nad as i did not like the way it produced music... for movies it was very "yamaha-ish". It was a bit too coloured with bass and it was not as clear as the arcam avr300. I think having two torodials may have caused some of the interference on the circuits?

Not sure.. for me arcam was still in my range and i only paid 300 more for the avr300 than the nad.

I did not bother testing out the pioneer/denon/yamaha/hk fare as i listened to them individually and did not like how they sounded.. bright, not so clear... sound spectrum maybe too coloured for some... it was not what i was looking for.

I still am amazed at the stereo separation on the arcam it outperforms my marantz separates!!! Not to mention the dd/dts separation and reproduction is excellent too.

And the arcam team is constantly upgrading the software on thir software upgradable units so you can rest assure any bugs of any sort you will be taken care of.

cheers.

5. tan1415

tan1415

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I found it...

I am not sure if we can compare the AVR200 with the AVR300.
    Both have had big names..esspecially the AVR300.

Arguably the highest rated receiver of the moment.

Sadly my budget is lower than the AVR300.

6. yant

yant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    I disagree with your evaluation of the avr200 vs avr250. The spec sheets are remarquably similar, both are 90W in stereo, 70W all chanels driven, 0.02% THD, etc. The avr250 has 7 chanels to the 5 of the avr200, better video connectivity and a few more bells and whistles but the avr200 has full set of pre-out that would allow you to add a power amp later.

So from where I am sitting, I can see the avr300 as an upgrade on the avr200 but not the avr250. More like a sideway move. I'd say if you don't need the extra two channels and the component switching, save your money and get an avr200 for less than half the price of an avr250.

Yan

7. vtuinen

vtuinen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I think you should compare the AVR200 more with a NAD 752. The 7x3 series from NAD are the latest version. The AVR is older and lacks some of the new formats.

I've had the 752 and sold it in favour of the AVR200

I liked the NAD, it is very good in stereo, it has a coherent stereo image and a wonderful surround capabilities. It has a enough power to drive decent pairs of (surround) speakers. And it has a good deep but thight bass.

But when I heared the Arcam I decided to keep it. The stereo image was better imho and more crisp and detailed without sounding harsh.

It has less features than the NAD, and supports less formats but DD 5.1 and DPL and DTS is enough for me as I do not have (nor will have) a 7.1 setup.

The avr is more laidback in surround and misses sometimes the kick-in-your-b*tt-feeling. Althought when driving a decent sub it still can frustrate you neighbors.

But imho these disadvantages are of less magnitude than the advantages in stereo.

Erik

8. yant

yant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    It's probably a sin to say this in this forum, but if you are looking for 80% movies, is Arcam really right for you? Other makes probably offer you more bang for the buck if you care mostly about movies. A large part of your investment in Arcam would be for musicality.

Yan
    (a happy Arcam owner)