Buying site too good to be true?

Reaction score
Happened to stumble across this site today:

www.empiredirect.co.uk/norwichunion

Sells a lot of electrical products and is a joint venture between Empire Direct and Norwich Union.

In short, seems to offer:

Ability to deal with a large corporation (NU)
PLUS a price promise which will match against ALL stores and web sites and give you 120% of the difference if you can find cheaper within seven days of purchase.

Am I missing something here? Is there a catch? Seems like a good place to buy from yet I've never heard of it before - on here or anywhere else!

I think it must be too good to be true, so If I bought a Marantz PM4400B amp off them, then showed them that it was something like £8 cheaper from super hi-fi, they would give me all my money back + cash ?

Has anyone tried phoning them?

No but I'm going to! was about to buy a new TV for £400 ish from a company I have never heard of before. Think I'll buy it from NU and then Get aboutdifference back. Should get a tenner bonus!

I work for NU. I have used this serveral times to get 120% of the difference taken off - it works. By the by I think NU are a crap employer....

Read the price promise... make sure whatever you match to is in stock too !

Our Promise to You

Lowest price and 120% difference offers apply to the cash price for brand new goods offered for sale and available from stock in the UK of the same manufacturer, model, specification and extras (including warranty and delivery) found within 7 days of your purchase. It specifically excludes display, clearance and refurbished items and any grey imports. All claims have to be made within 7 days from date of purchase.

Simply call our Sales Desk on 0800 015 7183 with contact details for the store or website you found the item cheaper at. We will then confirm the stock availability of the item with the store. Provided the item is in stock, we will refund you 120% of the difference accordingly.

It's 120% THE DIFFERENCE

NOT the overall price.

i.e Product A is £100 @ empire/NU and £90 @ Amazon.

Empire/NU will refund 120% the difference which is £12.

Err. i think.

\\Chris

Originally posted by hornydragon
you are correct mate! still means 20% cheaper than cheapest place in UK

Thats not true either! If you look at Tesla's example, your effectively getting the item for £88 rather than £90 at Amazon so its only around 2% less. It all depends what the difference is.

If an item was £100 at Amazon and £200 at NU then you would get £120 back which would then make it 20% cheaper but you'd be hard pushed to find such a difference.

Still, it gives you a bit of peace of mind when you buy an item that you're not going to see it for half the price a few days later.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom