• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Buying Second Hand - Deal or No Deal?

M17TT C LCFC

Established Member
Hi all,

I've been thinking about replacing my 28" JVC CRT with an LCD as i want to make the most of the space in my bedroom.

I was thinking of saving up around £400 and then getting something in the January sales but now i've got the idea in my head, i want one now!

However, being impatient, my budget will only be around £250-£300 so I was thinking of going down the second hand route and would like to know what others would do in this situation as i'm a bit of a noob when it comes to TVs.

The TV will be used mainly for freeview viewing but also Xbox 360. I would also like to be able to connect a PC/laptop to it and finally an AV receiver/amplifier.

Any advice/links/cheap TVs will be greatly appreciated as as you can probably tell, i'm not too hot no LCDs.

Thanks
Matt

Last edited:

pixlrik

Prominent Member
For £360 you can get a Sony KDL32V4000 which has built in Freeview (even more space saving) and can be connected to a PC/Laptop (not too sure about the AV receiver/amplifier though). I'm sure XBOX 360 will look lovely on it too. For a 32" TV thats a good brand and has got very good reviews, why risk paying a few pounds less to get a second hand that could fail not long after purchase and it leaves you with wasted money and no working TV. Be patient for a wee bit more, get that extra £60 and then buy it or a similar priced 32" LCD. I wouldn't bother with second hand, especially as LCDs are cheap enough nowadays compared to what they used to be. Good luck.

Last edited:

M17TT C LCFC

Established Member
Thanks paddy. I've noticed the prices have fallen a lot recently but i'm unsure if it would be better for me to buy a brand new one or a second hand one for similar or less that is off higher specs.

pixlrik

Prominent Member
Well, that's a decision you will have to make and be comfortable with so best not to rush in to it. Try doing a search on here for "best 32" LCD" and see what comes up, read the reviews and decide if it's right for you. Check sites for prices and if it is too expensive for new, try other places like eBay etc. Do you have any particular brand, size etc.in mind?

M17TT C LCFC

Established Member
Well i want at least as big as what i have but don't think there are many 28s so was thinking 32.

Not too fussed about a specific brand but would like one from a reputable manufacturer and not an Asda/Tesco cheapo special.

That Sony one you mentioned looks pretty interesting at just over £350.

Keep the recommendations coming!

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom