buying R1 discs

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by mattjames, Sep 17, 2000.

1. mattjames

mattjames

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Having never bought a region 1 disc I have a few questions:

Can anyone recommend a good e-tailer? (I've heard about A&B Sound, Amazon, Movietyme and Play247 - any comments?)

I've heard that customs add a fee for anything over £18. Is this true? What sort of price should I be paying to get a disc to my door? Is it therefore more cost effective to order each disc seperately?!?

Which are the best Region 1 discs out there at the moment? I'm thinking of Fight Club, Independence Day, Pitch Black, Saving Private Ryan (dts) and Alien Collection

Cheers

Matt

2. tee

tee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    Well I always use Play247 and have done for well over a year and a half and have never had to pay duty on any discs. However many discs you order from them isn't an issue, they send them out individualy so that each package totals £18 or less. Other good places are Movietyme and DVD-Depot.

Regarding best R1 discs? well thats another subject all together. Definatley check out Fight Club, The Abyss, T2 UE and any DTS discs though.

Also check out my site for some reviews and charts: http://www.electronicreality.co.uk/

Hope this helps,
    Tee

3. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    My R1 recommendations:

MIB (DTS)
    Roy Orbison Black & White Night
    Desperado
    The Big Hit
    The 5th Element
    The Nightmare before Christmas
    Galaxy Quest (DTS)
    Heat
    The Matrix
    Blade
    LA Confidential

Use myself express.com, very fast and reliable (2 orders so far) - and for me the cheapest way to get R1 DVDs in Malaysia.

------------------
    Rgds,
    Reiner

4. jonny

jonny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Ive ordered about 10 discs from play247, both over the phone and online. They deliver them very fast in excellent condition and ive never had any problems with them.

5. Fartknocker

Fartknocker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would recommend www.dv-depot.com in canada for r1 discs.
    most of the time they are cheaper than play247 (especially box-sets) and i have never had any interference (ooh-er) from customs, despite dozens of orders, and none have never turned up.
    3 discs shipping cost is only $4, and delivery takes on average about 5 working days (1st class air mail).
    they also give an excellent return service if you have any problems with idiot postal workers who play football with your parcel before hey deliver it, those bas... sorry, got carried away there.