Buying prescription glasses online

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by mby2j, Aug 14, 2012.

1. mby2j

mby2j

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +240
    Hi all, I was wondering if any of you good people on GC buy your glasses online and if so where?

I have had an eye test and been given a prescription but have been put off by the high street prices and have been tempted to buy online for much cheaper... If anyone could point me in the right direction it would be appreciated :smashin:

2. jenam93

jenam93

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,076
    Yes I have. Got a pair for under £10 from Lensway on one of their special promotions for new customers. They come around every so often and are worth it if you are not too bothered about the styling, lens finishes etc.

Just bought some Emporio Armani glasses from 2for1glasses.co.uk. I had tried the frames on in a shop who wanted about 160 for the frames and that again for coated transition lenses, i.e. over £300 for a complete pair of specs. 2for1, same frames with crizal forte coating and transitions lenses, £160 delivered. Just waiting for arrival. Oh and a free pair of other glasses (different frames and lenses but same prescription) :smashin:

Mate at work is just using glassesdirect. You order 4 frames to home to test then send back and keep repeating until you find the ones you like. Then you order the ones that suit/fit you and build up the lens coatings, transitions/tints etc accordingly. He says he got 2 pairs of fully coated transition thin lens glasses for the price of 1 high street optician fully coated transition thicker lens glasses.

There are a lot of website offering glasses and all of them have offers and vouchers at various points during the year so never buy without some kind of deal!

3. dc8900

dc8900
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,498
    +1 for Lensway,

I have brought two pairs from them so far, first pair was a some Joseph Marc glasses which I only paid some £50 for as the frame was free (was my first order so I simply paid for the super thin lenses) and my second current pair are a pair of blue Ray-Ban wayfarers which cost me only £150ish when you take into account a 50% off frame voucher (this come and go fairly regularly with Lensway) and Quidco.

4. Sleepy

Sleepy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    if you have a high prescription i would not recommend it as the optical centre will not be in the right place

5. dc8900

dc8900
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,498
    I have a pretty high prescription (-7.75 and -8.25 :eek:) and it has been perfectly fine, just make sure you have the right PD put in (opticians in the UK don't tend to put that down on your prescription but you can ask for it)

6. Philly112

Philly112

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,825
    Yes, that's right. They are also not obliged to give it to you, but they should do if asked. If they get shirty (as they'll know why you want it), just tell them you'll continue to buy glasses from them but want to look around for some cheap sunglasses or something.
    You might also find some problems if the glasses need adjusting when they arrive (which they probably will do).
    As has been said, Glasses Direct offer a free trial service of up to four pairs at a time.
    I used them before I had my eyes lasered, and can certainly recommend the service and quality.

Phil

7. mby2j

mby2j

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +240
    I've only got a low prescription, +50 and +25, hence my reluctance to pay a lot of money for glasses at the moment.

8. Simba

Simba

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +815
    i used selectspecs previously - took around 3-4 weeks as expected to arrive, price was good, much cheaper than high street etc, and i liked the fact you could talk to them via live chat online. Service was fine, but i had a faint scratch on one lens and the frame was slightly twisted, it was not square - replaced lens and adjusted frame arrived 2 weeks later but it was still not square. Decided to just get a refund in the end as selectspecs werent able to fix the problem they were convinced the frame was fine even though it wasnt. Slight hassle but came through in the end.

The issue i encountered has put me off buying specs online. Decided im going to go the laser route at the end of the year instead! :eek:

9. Shady

Shady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    I used Toni and Guy last time, never even knew they had an opticians:-

https://www.toniandguy-opticians.co.uk/shop/categories/Prescription-Glasses

They had the Ted Baker glasses I wanted in stock at less than half the price of the High Street stores, and the lenses were much less.

Took my measurements and my wife measured my PD (this was the one bit I was unsure about - but their site has details of how to do this), and I must say I am mightily impressed.

Not the cheapest glasses out there, but for the frames and lenses I wanted, much much less than the High Street.

They also arrived quite quickly, no issues with the vision, and they responded to e-mail enquiries really quickly. They also took my measurements over e-mail as the parameters on their site didn't go up to my prescription, but they said they could make them up from my e-mail, and as said, the vision is perfect.

Cheers

10. joel88

joel88

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I've used Glasses Direct for about 5 years now.
    The pair i wear every other way cost about £40 all in, and they also did a buy one get one free deal at the time (i think they still do).

My prescription is quite high and i wanted some good looking one i could wear often. You can get them cheaper than what i paid.

They also do a 'try before you buy' thing, where they send you the frames to try on.