1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Buying Plasma LG RZ42PY10X 1 year or 5 years

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by deltatango301, Sep 10, 2005.

1. deltatango301

deltatango301
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all

after a few weeks looking I have decided to buy a Plasma LG RZ42PY10X
    and give my 6 year old sony 36" tv to my daughter it did not break down
    in that 6 years my question is I can get the tv for £1790 1 year warranty
    or 5 years £2200 Do these tv breakdown after one year or any faults
    will they appear within 1st 12 months...............

Terry :lease:

2. azzy129

azzy129

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    The technology in the plasma's is not the same as previous CRT tv's. I've got a Toshiba 29" (4:3) which is also 6 years old and it's still running fine like the first day it came out of the box. The picture quality to this day is 100% better than any lcd/plasma screen (with telewest digital). But as I say I have to change with the times... I've been hoping that the tosh would pack up so I can justify to the rest of the family that we need a plasma.
    My opinion with regards to the cover is that you're spending quite a bit of money on it (£1500+) so I would go for the 5 year guarantee better to be safe than sorry, but try to search for a better deal than you've quoted. You do know that john lewis give a 5 year guarantee on all Tv's/plasma's. You could get them to price match to the lowest price you've found, however that might not be straight forward as they have a strict criteria they follow when price matching.

3. Sharpy14

Sharpy14

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As with most warranties, you are damned if you do, and damned if you don't. I suspect most would rather have the £400 extra in their pocket and if it develops a fault, have the wall mount mysteriously fail (and claim on the good old household policy)

Ethically dubious but sods law, you pay the extra £400 and the thing gets buried with you in 50 years, still working (with a loop of you at various stages of your life), or you don't and 50 pixels die in the shape of an extended middle finger after 366 days. :)

4. azzy129

azzy129

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    @ sharpy14 I would'nt like to sit next to you on a plane with only one engine working! :eek: