Buying Plasma/LCD in Northern Ireland

no_mates

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

Thinking of taking the plunge and buying a Plasma/LCD tv, have any of you experience of buying in Northern Ireland?, either locally of from an net retailler who will deliver to here?

Thanks

Most net retailors shouldn't have a problem delivering to N Ireland, it's more down to the courier that the retailer (or their supplier) would use to ship to you than the retailer themselves.

CityLink for instance only charge a small surcharge for NI delivery (about a tenner I think). Amazingly the same courier company will charge somewhere near £150 if you are even 100 yards over the border!!!

I think it was the Digital Direct website I saw that they didn't ship to BT postcodes. Usual story for living here so I presumed that most of the others followed suit.

have you tried talking to lyric hifi? Wht about richer sounds? RS should carry plasmas these days

ad

I was in Lyric , they tend to be a bit on the pricey side, I bought a lot of Linn kit off them years ago but that stuff is bullet proof and never got a chance to see what their aftersales service was like. I've checked out the RS website but haven't been to the store. I was also in LRG but they were looking nearly 4k for the Panny 6 and didn't seem to understand I didn't want the tuner box.

I havent looked in lyric at plasma..... did you actually enquire? As a good customer, they might do something for you.

The RS site advertises the consumer panny (pa20 i think) for £2800 so you might be able to get it in RS..... i dont know what else they do.

Failing that, what about nexnix.co.uk (not .com as i embarrassingly found out) who do £1999+vat for the commercial panny with video board and stand..... it may even include delivery. One thing to consider though is the warranty..... with a net place, I'd want to make sure it was an inhome warranty....

ad

Cheers buns,

I didn't enquire, I went in to buy a pair of Linn Classik Speakers and came out with a pair of Blue Room minipods, they only give me a tenner of the pair they had on display and from all my previous visits my impression is they won't kill you with generosity. Lack of competition in NI means they don't have to. I'd really like to buy local if I could.

Norm

I guess this is true. I have mostly bought expensive stuff from england based on cost..... when i go to collect my lumagen i will ask them about discount on plasma ;)

ad

no-mates,

I'm in the same situation - Richer Sounds Belfast don't match the main RS website prices - their prices are on the richersounds.ie site and are not particularly competitive - e.g. Panny 6 series 3300 pounds! However the Hitachi 5000 seems reasonable at 2.6K. RS Belfast actually told me that no-one will deliver plasmas to NI!!
I was considering buying from EmpireDirect although I suspect they won't deliver to NI either, haven't checked yet though. As you say - same old story about living here, computer and AV companies always either sink the arm in for delivery, or don't deliver here at all. Some of the PC hardware retailers are asking silly money to deliver the smallest items here! (with the exception of DABS and Simply Computing who I use regularly and will deliver here for a very reasonable cost). I was also actually considering trying to source a plasma in Glasgow or North of England and driving over via ferry to collect it - would probably still be cheaper than buying locally.

Let us know if you find anyone who will deliver to NI.

Cheers,

CJh

CJ28,

Sounds like we need an IKEA like bus run, don't fancy putting a 2.5k plasma in the hands of an Ulsterbus driver though.
What about down south, surely there must be a decent AV retailler in the south!.
I wonder if two or three of us all went to the same dealer would the cut a deal at mainland prices?

Norm

you could be right no_mates..... if you could get 3 people together, you might get a deal.... lets face it, even someone like lyric wont turn their noses up at £7k of business.....

I suggested nexnix.... i see no mention of them not shipping to NI, plus their panny price is very good.

ad

Buns, I think that the people on this forum have reassured me that going down the nexnix route would be a sound enough decision. It's just a pity we don't have more choice here as to who we give our hard earned cash to. Plus there's also a limited number of screens you can demo over here.

Ive noticed this with projectors..... most about here only have high high end and despite the talk of some others just over the border, they repeatedly fail to respond when you get in touch. My conclusion is that we are basically stuck to highish price or blind buying :(

ad

I reckon that the problem here is there's so much money about, look at the number of BM's, Merc's and Porsche's on the roads. These people just wander in buy whatever takes their fancy and away they go. I'm not saying that the retaillers don't know their stuff but I reckon the number of people who do the research, save up or borrow are in the minority. No competition plus NI's rich people must make it very lucrative for them.

well thats a point..... lyric for instance deal with high end. Now most would say my system is pretty high end, but to lyric it isnt much beyond entry! It seems that most who are interested in av have a load of cash, joe average just doesnt either know its available if he wanted or is more interested in other things

ad

I'm interested to read that richer sounds don't price match the .co.uk site. I called one day regarding speakers and a dvd player only to be told they didn't price match the .co.uk site only the .ie one. Very strange as their store is quite clearly listed on the richersounds.co.uk site. So i called back the next day, got a different guy who told me they did pricematch the site! i think someones being a bit daft or just being a git. At the end of the day, they offer pricematching so they have to match anything you bring in - I've been in with plenty of print outs of sites with no hassle at all.

Buns,

I noticed in another thread that you contacted Nexnix about plasmas. Did you find out whether they will deliver to NI? If so, how much are they charging as I'm thinking about a Panny PW6.

Cheers,

CJ

The do, the premium was either £30 or £50 depending who i spoke to

ad

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom