1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Buying plasma help.

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by thfccambs, Jul 25, 2003.

1. thfccambs

thfccambs
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,180
    I have been looking to buy myself a plasma,the only thing im not sure about is the lack of scarts.My set up i have is dvdr, dvd,sky+,at the moment i use them all by scart with my tosh rptv.If i got a plasma would i have to buy some sort of gadgat that i plug my scarts in to then goes in to back of plasma?If so could you let me know where i can get one from please.I have been looking at the hitachi 400e at about £2800 and the hitachi 3000 at £3000,would these be a good choice?If you think there is any thing else i should know please let me know.
    thank you.

2. lmccauley

lmccauley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +213
    Panasonic TH-42PWD6 can have 2 scart boards fitted (I believe - certainly one at least). It costs about £3050 + £65 for each board.

I have seen some people recommend a SCART switcher. Try a search here for an item within the last week, IIRC.

Cheers,
    Liam

3. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    If you buy the Hitachi 3000, it comes with a media box that takes scart inputs as well as component, svideo & good old analogue tv feed - perfect for those of us who just want a nice flat telly. It certainly isn't unique though, Philips, Sony and more do similar offerings, though not as cheap as far as I know. It's not a solution for those seeking the "best possible" pictures - not proper reproduction of Prog Scan & won't accept hdtv, but it still looks great

4. adam1974

adam1974

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Hitachi 42pd3000 you mention comes with its own media box for all your connections.

From memory (as I'm in work at present) it has 3 scart sockets (2 support rgb), it has component inputs for better video quality with supported devices (this is what I use to connect my Sony DVD player), it has front inputs with composite, s-video, and audio connections, it has a pc input, and it has an analogue input for the built in analogue tv tuner (with teletex).

So from your description above it sounds like this should be fine for your set-up.

Adam

Beaten to it ^^^^ :) :)

5. thfccambs

thfccambs
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,180
    I'm going to have a look at the hitachi 3000 this afternoon.Is there any other plasmas i should be considering looking at?My budget is £3000.

6. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Your budjet leaves you a bit tight for much else, maybe try a panny PW5 on offer from someone, don't forget to budget for a converter for rgb scart, £150 or so with cable. It accepts prog scan, s-video and vga, use a vga converter for sky+, DVDr will pass through, dvd to component. The Hitachi 400 doesn't accept the signal from a VGA converter, so I'd avoid that for your setup, you have too many bits to connect to do it another way properly, but the 3000 is obviously an option, though not the conoisseur's choice. Still, it's not bad, and it's big and flat.

7. caw001

caw001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think richer sounds have the panasonic at £2799 or the new Hitachi 400a at £2495

8. Easy2BCheesy

Easy2BCheesy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nexnix have the fifth gen Panny for £2556 inc delivery.

9. caw001

caw001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    just realised that, think I'm going to go for it. Has anyone seen it & can reccomend it? also how black is the casing ?