Buying PDP436XDE, will my current setup suffice?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by sjuggins, Mar 9, 2006.

1. sjuggins

sjuggins

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello all, it's my first post and I have a bit of a dilemma.

I've decided to take the plunge and buy a Pioneer PDP436XDE (or FDE as Richer Sounds deal looks good) and wanted to check if my current AV setup is OK :-

Sky+ (going to HD when it's available)
    H/K AVR-4000
    Pioneer DVD-717 or H/K DVD-25 (got both)
    Boston Acoustics MR 110x Speaker Package

The screen will be on the wall above my fireplace, approx 10-11ft from my sofa. Room size is approx 16ft x 13ft if this matters.

I spoke to Sevenoaks and they were telling me I need to change the Amp, DVD player and speakers otherwise it 's useless buying such a good screen. The screen was £2200 and he recommended I spend another £2k on these new items, obviously I was a little shocked.

Please advise.

2. xraystan

xraystan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What nonsense. I've got a HK DV25 and a Panasonic ES10 DVD recorder. I've connected both up to the screen and I run component to my 436 SXE and the picture is brilliant.
    Granted if you want to use the HDMI input then you will need to upgrade your DVD player to one that has an HDMI output or one with DVi and use a DVi to HDMI converter. Why they are telling you to change your amp is baffling. Err, it's Audio nothing to do with the picture you will get on your screen.
    I'll probably upgrade to a HDMI enable DVD player in a couple of months, but for now component connections are much more than adequate.
    The only reason you might need a new amp is to do HDMI switching and possibly up-scaling, but a new DVD player can do that, if you must have up-scaling, which is a bit controversial anyway.
    My amp needs an upgrade, but it's a 6 year old Yamaha 5.1 DTS jobbie that has been superseded a couple of times now.

Sounds like salesman's patter to me. Unless anyone knows different.

3. DAZZA2

DAZZA2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    All i would do is buy a Denon 1920. Another amp and speaker, er no. If your happy with your set up that's all that really matters.
    Upgrading can be never ending.