1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Buying Panasonic TH37PE50 and free DMR-ES10

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by liamjf, Apr 22, 2005.

1. liamjf

liamjf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hello, I'm buying the above mentioned for a friend (no really!) and have decided that this looks like the best deal ATM. Discounting the PV500 as it seems this won't match the PE50 for contrast or look as good with non HD sources. So, what's my problem? Well, I am buying a whole system for him (AV amp, dvd, speakers etc) and had pretty much settled on a second hand Denon 2800II/2900/2910 or an Arcam 88+ for the DVD. But now I'm getting a free player with the plasma! Does anyone know if these are any good and how they compare to the above players? Might I be better off selling it for £150 say and getting something else?
    Also any ideas on a decent 5 speaker package? Front 3 must be regular sized (floor/stand mounts). No sub necessary. Up to £600. Ex dem or S/H not a problem but front 3 must match. Thinking of Wharfdale/Mission/Kef/AE etc.

Thanks guys!

Liam.

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    liam the PV500 will look as good (i think better than the PE50) the extra res does help, also future proof.............the DVD-r is OK but an denon 2900/arcam DV88+/89 will look better IMHO

3. Timmy C

Timmy C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +223
    The free dvd player is a dvd recorder isn't it? Although I've never seen it in action I think it's safe to say it won't come close the the Denons/Arcam in terms of playback quality but then you can't record on the Denons/Arcam. I used to own a Denon 2900 and the picture through prog. scan is fantastic. To be honest I wish I'd never sold it!

As far as speakers go you may want to see what AE have left in their b stock sale. See the AV Hardware Special Offers forum for a link. They're out of floor standers I believe but I've heard the larger stand mount 300's and for the price they won't be beaten!

4. WhiteNoiseMaker

WhiteNoiseMaker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Does anyone know when av-sales will have the TH37PE50 in stock? they've got the 42" version in but the 37" still says Available April.

5. llg

llg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the TH37PE50 is avaliable now had it for a week and a bit already sold out. its a good deal by high street shop standards its comes with the panel (OBV),free dvd recorder DMRES10 and 5yr warranty. the price depends on what stand you want it on whether pedestal,wall bracket or the full cabinet.

6. tutu

tutu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    I've used the DMRES10 at my parents and it is a excellent piece of kit. Recording in EP mode (8 hours on a disc) is excellent quality - I would have thought it would have been poor with that much compression.

Playback - well I didn't see much of it but it looked good :)

7. WhiteNoiseMaker

WhiteNoiseMaker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    did you happen to buy your TH37PE50 from John Lewis and is the DMRES10 multi region if you did buy from JL?