1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Buying Online

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by Andy Mee, May 22, 2004.

1. Andy Mee

Andy Mee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I want to but a camcorder and have found that online prices are considerably lower than shop prices. I'm tempted to buy online but am very suspicious.

How can the prices differ so much and can anyone recommend good online dealers? I have seen across prd, pixmania, rgb and a few others.

I appreciate your comments.

Andy.

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    The reasons for the large price differences is down to the costs involved in running a shop. Rent, Wages, lighting, buisness taxes etc that are all reduced if all you have is a warehouse and a phone & internet site.
    My advise is always to find the best online price, print out the details and take them along to a Jessops and they will pricematch any UK internet site.

Mark.

3. AOD

AOD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Seconded.

We did this for both our camera (an Ixus 400) and our camcorder (Sony TRV something).

If I can I'd rather give the business to a company that I can deal with face to face if something (heaven forbid) should go wrong.

4. adamperry

adamperry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I tried this on Saturday.

Went to my local Jessops with an advert from a shop called HiSpek.

Jessops sell the Sony HC18E for £450; they said they could not match HiSpeks price of £328. The best they could do was £350.

As HiSpek have a store in Brentwood (near where I live), I drove to Brentwood and bought it there. They also sold accessories (tapes, spare batteries) slightly cheaper.

So... Jessops don't always price match!

5. sonofmoth

sonofmoth
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I've used cameras2u.com recently and have been very impressed. They also have a phone number if you want to speak to someone about anything. Good prices, friendly service and free delivery :)

6. AOD

AOD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I should have said that both times I contacted Jessops ahead of my visit to the shop to ensure that the price would be matched.

The last time (for the camcorder) was a little trickier. I ended up haggling (in the nicest possible way) with a chap from Jessops head office.

In the end I had to resort to the "come on, we bought our Ixus 400 from you, the price you're offering is beaten even by Amazon etc" and then they caved.

At least they'll entertain matching an Internet store, unlike a certain department store I could mention that claim to be "never knowingly undersold".

Yeah right!

7. matiano

matiano

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Jessops pricematch policy is a 100% guarantee to match anything on the high street, but will do thier best to match internet companies. If it isnt UK based, dont even bother though, as the channel isnalds dont pay taxes and such they cant pricematch, which is understandable.

8. AndyRH

AndyRH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I recently went to Jessops for a PC105 on price match from www.letsgodigital.co.uk
    LGD had it for £540 and Jessops could only go as low as £650, and apparently the head office couldn't understand how LGD could sell it that cheaply.

Regarding your point about being suspicious of online retailers - LGD were brilliant, they contacted me personally to say it would be delivered a day late (still only took three days), and were polite and helpful throughout.

9. adamperry

adamperry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, I can tell you from first hand experience that Jessops do NOT guarrantee 100% to match high street retailers.

I bought my camera from a high street retailer, and Jessops would not match the price, they phoned head office and were told not to match it. So I suggested that I would buy at the higher price if they threw in a few extras (tapes, bag) and they couldn't come up with anything like that, either.

So I bought it at the other retailer.

Despite what Jessops SAY, it isn't true.