Buying online: Shipping to different name/address from card?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Soundburst, Sep 9, 2012.

1. Soundburst

Soundburst
    In Memoriam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,351
    Hi everyone,

I'm back with another bank related question :laugh: So the analogy is as follows:

If my friend wants to buy something expensive (a computer) . .but has no bank card with a debit facility.

If he uses my card details (with my permission) and I sit with him to enter those secure details that pop up (third letter of your password) etc is that OK or will my bank freak out and causes chaos.

Basically my question is if he logs into his account and the shipping details are his name and his address. But the billing is my card. . .is this possible? Has anyone done this?

Do banks need to authorise it with me phoning them? If so, how do they authorise it? Do they give you like a day to make a purchase to a different shipping address?

(p.s in reality my friend learned I was buying a very expensive iMac option and offered - very kindly - to get me money off by student discount!)

Thanks in advance :)

2. John7

John7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +939
    I would not give card details/pin numbers to ANYONE because it is against banking rules for you to do this.

You certainly do not want to be telling your bank of the intention to do this as it not allowed under the terms and conditions because it is a potential breach of security.

I'm not insinuating anything about your friend but if you do have some unauthorised activity on your account down the line, it could be very difficult for you to resolve.

Far better for you to order and pay for the computer and have your friend give/transfer the money to you.

3. John7

John7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +939
    Oops, I missed the last bit about YOU buying the computer. In that case, I would get him to buy it and transfer the money to him.

4. Soundburst

Soundburst
    In Memoriam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,351
    Would it be possible to tell my bank that I'm buying him a present?

Also - I'm not giving my password out - ill be there entering the secure questions and stuff. :(

Last edited: Sep 9, 2012
  5. nonumb

nonumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    What website are you buying from? Loads of places have different fields for invoice and billing addresses.

If there is only one then you have a problem.

On my dads amazon account we have about 5 cards and 15 addresses so we all use the prime service for buying things and sending to people.

6. Soundburst

Soundburst
    In Memoriam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,351
    Apple online store.

I spoke with Apple and they said that my friend could use his card and address to pay with my name and address as the actual account and shipping address (obviously I didn't tell them what I was actually doing!). They recommended I tell my bank before hand but said that they would accept the payment.

So I'm confused :(

7. imightbewrong

imightbewrong
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34,158
    > So I'm confused

So just do it without committing fraud then :lesson:

8. Soundburst

Soundburst
    In Memoriam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,351
    What do you mean. I'll phone my bank and say "I'm buying me and my friend a computer for university but I need it shipped to him" is this possible.

9. imightbewrong

imightbewrong
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34,158
    I mean, is this thing going to be used for student purposes? :rolleyes:

10. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,577
    The bank and the retailer should be considered separately because that is precisely what they are, hence your confusion. Each retailer will have their own policy. Some websites do not care whilst some insist the first few orders ship to the billing address only until you 'prove' yourself. Apple have already stated their position so that is fine.

Separately if your bank's fraud team pick up the transaction and choose to enquire further then they will simply phone you. Failure to answer may result in the transaction / card being stopped pending verification. Saying that my policy is to hang up and ring back because I am not giving out details to somebody who called me in that order

P.S. This is not an analogy. Assume you are not doing an English degree!

11. JayCee

JayCee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,532
    I've used Amazon UK for buying items online for years and have 4 or 5 credit cards listed.
    A couple of weeks ago I ordered an item costing approx £400 but instead of clicking the "Ship to this address" button (my default shipping and billing address) I accidently clicked the "or ship to this address" button...I realised my mistake and then within seconds corrected it and clicked the default button and the order appeared to go through.
    A couple of minutes later my credit card co phoned to ask about a recent transaction I had made (this one) and after I answered the security questions and verified I had indeed ordered the item myself she took the block off the card.
    This was down to my mistake of clicking the wrong button so the card companies are on the ball when it comes to attempted fraud.

12. BT Bob

BT Bob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,154
    Not quite the same thing, but I bought my daughter a MacBook Pro using the Apple Educational discount she was eligible for. Because it was during the holidays and she wasn't able to access the Education store from an "academic" domain/ISP I had to do it over the phone.
    They (Apple) had no problem with me placing the order on her behalf and paying with my card an shipping it to her (different address to my address - the billing address). All I had to do was e-mail them a scan of her University ID card.
    As usual, their Customer Service was superb.
    Don't forget to get the free 3 years Applecare they're including with Educational discount (or were a month ago) and the free £70 App-Store/iTunes gift card (again, they were a month ago).

13. Miss Mandy

Miss Mandy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,364
    With most websites you won't have a problem with the payment address and shipping address being different, but here you may do because of the eligibility of the student discount. They'll want proof that the person buying it is a student and may require it to be shipped to this student rather than someone else.

14. Soundburst

Soundburst
    In Memoriam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,351
    Yes Apple don't mind but it will be bought under his NAME and address with my card details. That's the only problem my bank might have. I'll report back to let everyone know what they say. Not sure how to get the free voucher. Maybe it'll add it on automatically :)

15. Soundburst

Soundburst
    In Memoriam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,351
    No. It won't be for student purposes at all. He's just offered to buy it under his name and then give it to me to save 300 quid. Because he's a good friend :)

You're not going to be out of pocket for it so I'm not sure why you're so fussed :confused:

16. imightbewrong

imightbewrong
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34,158
    Maybe I just take objection to a thread on the subject of 'hey guys, help me defraud this company please!!!'

If someone started a thread saying 'please help me work out how to steal some goods' I wouldn't be out of pocket either, but those dang morals would still kick in ;) I'm not sure when 'you're not going to be out of pocket' became the gold standard.

17. Soundburst

Soundburst
    In Memoriam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,351
    Hardly defrauding.

He's a student.

The purchase is made in his name.

It's shipped to him.

Apple have given permission for me to pay on my card.

He chooses to give me the product.

Everything is above board. Not at all similar to "help me steal some goods" as you've suggested. Perhaps save the false and incorrect hyperbole for another topic?

Can you sleep soundly tonight now?

Last edited: Sep 10, 2012
  18. imightbewrong

imightbewrong
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34,158
    Can you? :laugh: it's a student discount - you're not a student - end of. The above is not mitigation, just your caper written down :)

19. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,577
    Not really 'fraud', more in breach of the conditions of sale / contract

Besides Apple know it goes on and they are happy to take the £ / $ / €. Walk into any retail Apple store and chances are an adult will be buying something on discount courtesy of their sibling / offspring in tow

20. Soundburst

Soundburst
    In Memoriam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,351
    Absolutely. They're still making over £1500 pound off me. And another £500 for iPhone.

Phones the bank today and they said its completely fine to do this on a debit card - so long as the company facilitates it by giving the option of billing and shipping differences (they do).

Bank said that had it been a credit card there's a fair chance that I'd have been phoned to verify the purchase. :)

Thanks everyone.

21. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,577
    A succinct demonstration of the advantages of shopping online with a credit card - anything goes wrong it is the banks money and they have a further interest to sort or pre-empt problems arising. You still have the same legal protection but for me personally am in no position to wait for refunds to my current account.

22. Soundburst

Soundburst
    In Memoriam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,351
    Yes. . .definitely. The good thing these days is that when you buy online you now need certain characters from a pre prepared password. So even if your card is stolen ; it can't be used unless you tell them your password too. :)

I never like buying anything on credit so always use the cash card. I prefer to get a cash cost. . .then pay that cash and have it all done. No invoice at the end of the month or whatever.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2012
  23. Phil57

Phil57

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    What legal protection is this?