1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Buying on EBAY?

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by TopMeTom, Jan 14, 2003.

1. TopMeTom

TopMeTom
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +261
    Hi looking round to buy a g2/g3 noticed prices on ebay a lot cheaper,has anyone bought this way? i.e.shipped from oz/H.K.? advice needed!!

Phil
    :cool:

2. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Lytham St Annes, where people are put out to grass
    Ratings:
    +2
    what prices have you seen them for?

When I was looking for an Canon S45 I found that they were only selling for about £10-£20 less than net prices. Id rather pay the extra tenner for a warranty and someone I can contact in the Uk

3. tomson

tomson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +187
    They don't seem that much cheaper - most seem to go for about £500 or so (G3 model) and can usually cost another £20 or so to ship. When you consider you can buy a UK sourced on for about £550 upwards it doesn't seem quite so attractive. Even places like Unbeatable.co.uk sell them for £575 inc p&p and i think a hassle-free warranty is worth the extra few quid.

4. andypandy

andypandy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I have got to agree about Ebay. I was looking at DVD writers and there seems to be one person sellling many Pioneer 105's as many seperate ads - selling them at about £20 MORE than DABS and NOVATECH !!!

5. avsilky

avsilky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    G3 is pretty popular and highly recommended so it may be hard to find a super deal. You may have to settle for a decent price and peace of mind instead. I'm neurotic when it comes to having to settle so I try as many avenues as possible first but it takes lots of time. I have purchased a few things on EBAY with no problem but they were not electronics. When I was looking for cameras, I found it beneficial to call the seller or email to figure the exact price including shipping and warranty. I finally found a dealer with a great price and he was only 2 hours away. But would only honor the price via internet which of course required shipping. In the end, I decided to go with a local shop for peace of mind and I have a problem with jacked up shipping rates. There really can be good deals but you have to be quick and diligent - be there at the very last second of the auction. Amazon.com also has stray things in their auctions. I'm currently looking at a possible purchase there because I can't find it at EBAY and it will be 25% cheaper than buying it from the manufacturer and there is no local dealer to buy it from. Good luck in your venture and I wouldn't write off EBAY entirely - at least for other things.