buying new receiver...

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by alxgchu, Aug 3, 2006.

1. alxgchu

alxgchu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi everyone! just like to ask for some advice on what model and brand to buy... wheter yamaha rx-v 659 or rx-v1600, denon avr 2106 or avr 2805, harman kardon 235? thanks!

2. rob roberts

rob roberts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I just bought Denon to replace Yamaha and am very very pleased with it.

Hope it helps.

3. alphabet

alphabet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Which one?

Go listen to each one, preferably with the speakers you intend using and then decide with your ears!

Of the receivers you mention, I would think that the Yamaha RX-V1600 would be the best bet, but remember you have to be happy with it. Therefor your ears have to decide and not anyone else.

You will find that Denon owners will say "Take the Denon", same apllies to Yamaha owners as well as HK owners as what they have suit their tastes, but may not suit yours.:)

4. alxgchu

alxgchu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    actually the shops here in our country is not good in testing the units unless your going to buy it.. basically, i will use my old bose 301, jbl center, and bose surround for the speakers. but will upgrade to a new set of speaker (not sure of the brand yet..) have to deside wat is best for the new receiver i will buy maybe paradigm or b&w..

some of my basis tho r:

denon 2805
    (pros)
    - made in japan
    - selling much cheaper since it is an older model (around US$740)
    - good design

(cons)
    - old model
    - someone told me dat the power supply is 50hz as compare to other brand 60hz and that our country is 60hz meaning that is will heat up much easily and will easily break the unit (not sure of this...)

denon 2106
    (pros)
    - new model around (US$560)
    - good design

(cons)
    - much lower level than 2805
    - made in china

5. alxgchu

alxgchu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yamaha rx-v 1600
    (pros)
    - good design with many surround modes
    - 60 hz..??

(cons)
    - expensive around (US$1000)
    - made in malaysia??

yamaha rx-v 659
    (pros)
    - cheaper around (US$500)

(cons)
    - made in malaysia??

harman kardon
    not sure of this unit but the shop told me dat this has a more consistent wattage in terms of power to drive speakers.. but made in china.. :rolleyes:

6. alphabet

alphabet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It does seem like you have done some homework on the different receivers:)

I am not too sure why the country where it was manufactured appears to be of importance to you, but I suppose you have your reasons.

Another element that should not be a concern to you is whether the power supply is 50Hz or 60Hz. Most if not all units can be set to the power supplied by your electrical grid i.e. 110v/60Hz or 220v/50Hz.

Even if you cannot get home demonstrations, at least try to do comparisons in a store. At least you should get a pretty good idea of what it sounds like. Take some music, etc along that you know well and then compare the sound.

Of the units you mention, I am not a huge fan of any of those except maybe the RX-V1600. The Denons have their fans and rightly so and so does the Yamahas. The HK AVR235 looks impressive, but don't be fooled by the so-called high-current. It does not make the HK more powerful, but in theory does enable it to drive difficult speaker loads. As far as your current speakers are concerned I cannot imagine them being a difficult load(sorry to sound rude, but Bose is hugely overrated:( ) A friend of mine bough a HK235 some time ago and we were both very disappointed by it.

Have you considered Marantz? Particularly the SR5600 or higher. Good sounding gear both in HT and stereo mode. Off course I have refrained from recommending Cambridge Audio, but as it is in my signature that is enough reason to know that I recommend CA as well:devil:

7. alxgchu

alxgchu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well, the reason i want the unit that is manufactured in japan is that it is more durable and i believe that is sounds better because my pioneer vsx433 is made in malaysia and the overall quality is bad..

for marantz, i think only the low end is available here..

i agree with u dat bose speakers is overated coz it also sounds poor with my pioneer i jas bought dis in an instant without searching info on this products.. dats y i dont want to do the same mistake agen..:mad:

the yamaha rxv-1600 is just to much for my pocket so i narrowed down my pick to denon avr2106 , avr2805 and avr 2807..

what country of origin is cambridge audio?

8. alphabet

alphabet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cambridge Audio is from the UK.

In all honestly you won't go wrong if you do go for any the Denons, its just that I feel there are many better(to my ears :) ) contenders out there.

In the same price range you have to look at the Marantz SR4600 and SR5600 as I am sure they will be more or less the same price as the Denons.

Forgot to ask, which country are you from?