1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Buying New Receiver, which one from list?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Shepski, Oct 13, 2003.

1. Shepski

Shepski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, thought I would start a new thread cos I have found a few amps that I like all within my budget of tops £330 and all silver (do not like black amps) and all 6.1 which I would like to move upto. I am no pureist so what may sound crap to you may well sound bob on to me as I dont have the perfect room layout for optimum AV setups and I absolutly dont plan to lash out anymore money on speakers etc, my eltax cinemaxx's and a10 sub will do me fine and sound great to me!

Now, I think I know which I prefer out of them all but I am after some constructive feedback and even any reviews online on them or scanned reviews from mags as I am not sure about a few of them and how they perform.

Any thoughts and other options appreciated. The list is as follows:

Panasonic SAXR-45 receiver

Pioneer VSX-C501 Slimline A/V Receiver

These first 2 are ideal as they are slimline and will fit nicely. The next three are full sized and although will dominate the tv unit somewhat but that may have to be considered if the top two are complete trash. The absolute maximum height I can go to is 165mm so bear that in mind if you offer up any other options.

Pioneer VSX-D812-S

Sony STRDB790S

Yamaha HTR5640RDS

Thanks

2. Shepski

Shepski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    anyone?

my list cant be that bad :)

3. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +111
    Don't try to place a full-sized amp in a shelf without adequate ventilation around it. Overheating = :nono: My choice would be for one of the bigger, more powerful full-size boys, extra power being a bonus. The smaller amps are both very good too. All should drive your speakers to a good level.

The best advice is to go demo each one at a dealer. Only you can tell which one's sound you prefer - and believe me, you have just about the full range of different "family" sounds in your list. :)

4. Shepski

Shepski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well, made my mind up.

Because of all the glowing reviews and users who are more than happy with it I went for the VSX-D812-S :D

Finding on took some work tho! Searched google and rang or emailed every uk based firm who supply them and none had them in stock and all told me pioneer havent got them in stock either! I did eventually stumble by chance doing something else on a place that I thought I would try anyway and they have 2 coming in stock on thursday so I have snaffled one :)

Now to put my beloved Kenwood complete HC system up for sale :(

5. kiddi

kiddi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    so, how does it sound? happy with it? any problems, did you compare it to the others?

6. Shepski

Shepski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    havent got it yet, should arrive tommorrow but I wont get to set it up until at least sunday as I am laying new flooring in the lounge this friday/saturday

7. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    Go pioneer as they are one of the best options now. good sound with excellent features

8. Shepski

Shepski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    got the amp all plumbed in on saturday night and slapped the good old SWAOTC on....WOW!

what a major difference! the sound is truly exceptional and the 6th speaker makes a huge difference (when used to only having 5). The amp was easy enough to setup for my room layout/speaker distances but may try to borrow a sound meter and do it properly at somepoint.

I am very happy with this amp :)

9. JAMBO

JAMBO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just read the thread and I'm glad you went for the Pioneer, at the moment Pioneer are market leaders in AV Receivers/amps and, though everyone has their own preferences, in my humble opinion no-one can touch them for quality and value. I got a VSX-D2011 2 months ago...THX certified, air studios tuned, 7x100w, every processor you can think of, 7.1 facility and MCACC, which sets up all your speaker levels automatically in 5 mins, without need for a sound meter. Ingenious !! All for less than £700.
    Firing it through 7 KEF 2005.2 Eggs and the sub. The sound reproduction from the 'Quiddich' scene from Harry Potter and the philosophers stone is amazing. You would swear that the 'golden snitcher' is buzzing around your ears.:smashin:

10. Shepski

Shepski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    does HP have an ex soundtrack? i was told it didnt but didnt bother checking for myself! if it does I will whack it on tonite and have a listen.

11. JAMBO

JAMBO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry, I recorded it on Sky+. Sounds brilliant through amp, either on natural dolby digital 5:1, or analogue stereo using Neo:6 processor.

12. Shepski

Shepski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  13. JAMBO

JAMBO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My amp defaults to whatever the DVD is also, but I like to fiddle about a bit to compare sound. Maybe it's just me but different DVD'S, or even different movies on Sky sound better with different types of processor selection.