Buying my first soundbar

Nico877

Novice Member
Reaction score
Getting a Samsung HW-Q800T on Tuesday and I have a question about connectivity. I have a Samsung Q80T with four HDMI ports, one of them being an eARC port. The soundbar only has one HDMI which is shared with eARC.

I'm mainly going to use the soundbar with my 4K Blu-ray player, so I'm thinking I'll plug the HDMI from the Blu-ray player to the soundbar, and from the soundbar to the eARC port on the TV for Atmos. Is this correct? And also, this will only give me sound from the soundbar from the Blu-ray player, right?

The Blu-ray player is of a different region than my PS5, and I also have a few Blu-rays with the same region as the PS5, but none of those Blu-rays support Atmos. With the above as an example, will I have to use an optical cable from my soundbar to my TV to also get sound from the soundbar when watching on the PS5? Can I keep both the HDMI eARC connection for the Blu-ray player and the optical connection for the PS5 at the same time? Will I have to change any settings anywhere each time I swap between the two devices?

Thank you

Last edited:
Some questions to start.
Getting a Samsung HW-Q800T on Tuesday and I have a question about connectivity. I have a Samsung Q80T with four HDMI ports, one of them being an eARC port. The soundbar only has one HDMI which is shared with eARC.

I'm mainly going to use the soundbar with my 4K Blu-ray player, so I'm thinking I'll plug the HDMI from the Blu-ray player to the soundbar, and from the soundbar to the eARC port on the TV for Atmos. Is this correct? And also, this will only give me sound from the soundbar from the Blu-ray player, right?

The Blu-ray player is of a different region than my PS5, and I also have a few Blu-rays with the same region as the PS5, but none of those Blu-rays support Atmos. With the above as an example, will I have to use an optical cable from my soundbar to my TV to also get sound from the soundbar when watching on the PS5? Can I keep both the HDMI eARC connection for the Blu-ray player and the optical connection for the PS5 at the same time? Will I have to change any settings anywhere each time I swap between the two devices?

Thank you
Does the soundbar only have 1 hdmi or 1 for arc and 1 further input?
How many hdmi outputs does your 4k player have?
I think these things may determine the best way to set up...

Some questions to start.

Does the soundbar only have 1 hdmi or 1 for arc and 1 further input?
How many hdmi outputs does your 4k player have?
I think these things may determine the best way to set up...
Sorry, I forgot to mention that I only have one HDMI port left on my TV. The others are occupied by PC, Switch, PS5. I was thinking I'd use the Blu-ray player connected through the soundbar for the remaining free HDMI port (eARC).

Soundbar has one HDMI IN and one HDMI out, the latter which is shared with eARC

Last edited:
TV eARC to Soundbar eARC allows audio to flow from the TV, and any Source connected directly to the TV, to the Soundbar.

Connect a Source to the HDMI Input on the Soundbar and the eARC connection will also allow video to flow from the Soundbar to the TV.

It sounds like you will be good to go.

Joe

Sorry, I forgot to mention that I only have one HDMI port left on my TV. The others are occupied by PC, Switch, PS5. I was thinking I'd use the Blu-ray player connected through the soundbar for the remaining free HDMI port (eARC).

Soundbar has one HDMI IN and one HDMI out
Sounds about right to me. Connect the 4k player to the soundbar input, and the TV to the soundbar Arc. As long as you specify on the TV audio settings that you are using an external sound system, your soundbar will be used for everything.

TV eARC to Soundbar eARC allows audio to flow from the TV, and any Source connected directly to the TV, to the Soundbar.

Connect a Source to the HDMI Input on the Soundbar and the eARC connection will also allow video to flow from the Soundbar to the TV.

It sounds like you will be good to go.

Joe
Thank you! In my case I will only be able to get sound for my Blu-ray player, seeing as I only have one free HDMI port before plugging in the soundbar and the Blu-ray player, right?

What about the PS5 though? Can I still use optical to TV for that?

Sounds about right to me. Connect the 4k player to the soundbar input, and the TV to the soundbar Arc. As long as you specify on the TV audio settings that you are using an external sound system, your soundbar will be used for everything.
Wait, what? It will work for anything as long as I use the eARC port, even though the main source is the Blu-ray player? So the PS5 will also get sound from the bar with the setup you posted?

Wait, what? It will work for anything as long as I use the eARC port, even though the main source is the Blu-ray player? So the PS5 will also get sound from the bar with the setup you posted?
Your tv has eARC and the the soundbar has eARC connect your hdmi cable from the tvs eARC port to the soundbars eARC port and any other devices you connect to the other hdmi ports on the tv the sound will go to the soundbar arc stands for audio return channel. Plus you can connect another device to the other hdmi input on your soundbar and the picture will go to the tv and the sound to the soundbar

z
Your tv has eARC and the the soundbar has eARC connect your hdmi cable from the tvs eARC port to the soundbars eARC port and any other devices you connect to the other hdmi ports on the tv the sound will go to the soundbar arc stands for audio return channel. Plus you can connect another device to the other hdmi input on your soundbar and the picture will go to the tv and the sound to the soundbar
But I only have one HDMI port available, so the Blu-ray player has to go through the soundbar and from soundbar to eARC port as I don't have room for both the Blu-ray player and the soundbar. This means I'll only be able to get sound from the Blu-ray player if I'm not mistaken.

I'd also like to get sound from my PS5 without the use of HDMI switches, etc., hence my question about using the optical method for that

Last edited:
z

But I only have one HDMI port available, so the Blu-ray player has to go through the soundbar and from soundbar to eARC port. This means I'll only be able to get sound from the Blu-ray player if I'm not mistaken.

I'd also like to get sound from my PS5 without the use of HDMI switches, etc., hence my question about using the optical method for that
Why can't you use your hdmi ports on your tv and the sound will go back to your soundbar via your hdmi eARC port

Why can't you use your hdmi ports on your tv and the sound will go back to your soundbar via your hdmi eARC port
I have four HDMI ports, three are in use:

HDMI 1: PC
HDMI 2: Nintendo Switch
HDMI 4: PlayStation 5

That leaves one free HDMI (eARC) port and I still haven’t connected the soundbar or the Blu-ray player yet. I was going to plug the Blu-ray player to the soundbar and then from the soundbar to the free HDMI (eARC) port. That means I'll only get sound from the Blu-ray player, correct?

Soundbar only has 1 x HDMI IN and 1 x HDMI OUT/eARC.

I have four HDMI ports, three are in use:

HDMI 1: PC
HDMI 2: Nintendo Switch
HDMI 4: PlayStation 5

That leaves one free HDMI (eARC) port and I still haven’t connected the soundbar or the Blu-ray player yet. I was going to plug the Blu-ray player to the soundbar and then from the soundbar to the free HDMI (eARC) port. That means I'll only get sound from the Blu-ray player, correct?

Soundbar only has 1 x HDMI IN and 1 x HDMI OUT/eARC.
No you'll get sound from all your devices connected to the tv when you connect your hdmi cable to your free HDMI (eARC) port on your tv and the other end of the hdmi cable to the HDMI (eARC) port on your soundbar you'll also get sound from your Blu-ray player connected to your other HDMI port on your soundbar. The sound will travel from your tv to the soundbar through your HDMI eARC cable

No you'll get sound from all your devices connected to the tv when you connect your hdmi cable to your free HDMI (eARC) port on your tv and the other end of the hdmi cable to the HDMI (eARC) port on your soundbar you'll also get sound from your Blu-ray player connected to your other HDMI port on your soundbar. The sound will travel from your tv to the soundbar through your HDMI eARC cable
I'm dumb. Thank for explaining like I was 5 :) I just figured I'd only get sound from the Blu-ray player and ignored, for some reason, the fact that I’m still connecting the soundbar to the TV with HDMI eARC!

I'm dumb. Thank for explaining like I was 5 :) I just figured I'd only get sound from the Blu-ray player and ignored, for some reason, the fact that I’m still connecting the soundbar to the TV with HDMI eARC!
No problems enjoy your new soundbar :)

Yes. That's the basis of the earc connection. Any device connected to the TV will still use the soundbar. E.g. my 4 k player is connected direct to my soundbar. My Xbox is connected to the TV . Both use the soundbar. You'll be good to go

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom