Buying my first set of headphones soon and I have some queries.

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by CoD98, Aug 25, 2013.

1. CoD98

CoD98
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi,

I'm brand new to all this and I've decided that I'm going to get the AKG K271 headphones along with a sansa clip mp3 player (for flac) and a portable amp.

I mostly need help with which amp to buy because I read that the FiiO E05 is a great budget one and I feel that it would suit my needs (please recommend a different one in that price range if you feel that it would be better) but a majority of people that buy it use iPod's whereas I will be using a different mp3 player and I'm not sure if it's as necessary to buy an amp if I'm using a sansa clip.

With the sansa clip people complain about the volume but you can change the settings to USA and it fixes that problem but with the AKG K271's people do say that you need an amp so I'm kinda confused.

Thanks for any help and sorry if I've confused you all but after researching audio related things my head feels like it's gonna explode. Oh and the genres that I listen to the most are metal and rock if that helps with anything

Last edited: Aug 25, 2013
  2. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,577
    Looking at the spec they are borderline between efficient and not efficient. I would say you can try them with the clip and if you feel there is not enough voltage you still have the fall-back to buying an amp

3. CoD98

CoD98
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Okay thanks I will probably get the amp anyway as it's a good price so now I just have to decide which one to get. The FiiO's seem good but there are many different versions and I was wondering if the FiiO e5 would work well with the K271's or would they require something better?

Last edited: Aug 25, 2013
  4. stevechet

stevechet
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi,I use the e6 for my iPod and the e11 for my phone,I have found the e6 to be a very good amp,not as good as the e11 but there is the difference in price,for the money I think you would be better off spending the extra £5 - £10 difference from the e5 and getting the e6, hope this helps,it will make a difference to the K271's

5. CoD98

CoD98
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    You're right they are roughly the same price on amazon so a big thanks for that